Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default I just carried in public for the first time

I went to leave my apartment building in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh this morning around 230 AM. I found a PGH DPW 2x6 wood road barricade jammed against the main door. I took a picture and carefully scoped out as much as I could see. Everything seemed safe as far as I could tell so I used my heft to push the door open and umjam the barricade from the door. As I was carrying the ~20 foot long board away from the door a Pittsburgh Police car came around the corner and I flagged him down. I said I was trying to leave the building and found this in my way and I asked if their was a reason for it. He said it probably was some "buttheads" and I should just put it down. I agreed with that assessment and put it down on the porch.

I then went back inside to my apartment and put my handgun in a holster on my belt (OC, as I don't have my LTCF yet) and went outside and around the building to check the back door fire escape (there are 16 apartments in my building) in case someone was planning an organized attacked or whatever on the building. There were no signs of anything out of the norm out back so I went back into my apartment and I will sacrifice tomorrow to stay awake for the rest of the night and keep an eye on things (with more than just my handgun).

So that was my excitement for this morning. Have I done anything wrong so far or am I safe? Could I have been hassled for OCing in Pittsburgh? I don't think so but I'm young (21) and new to all this so I want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

Sorry if some of this is hard to understand, its late and I'm quite tired

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I just carried in public for the first time

Unless you left out some details, I don't see anything that you did wrong.(legally)

As for what/how you went about doing things, its hard to say. Did anyone know you were going to "secure the perimeter"? If you had been jumped behind the building, would anyone realize you were missing? It may have made sense to ask the police officer you spoke with to have a look around.

"Could I have been hassled for OCing in Pittsburgh?"
    You don't have to be doing anything wrong to be "hassled".
    If you meant it the way you typed it, sure, you could be hassled. If you were asking if OC is legal in Pgh, the answer is yes.

Get some sleep.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Congrats Offshore! That wasn't the most desirable circumstance to break the OC barrier....but you broke it nonetheless.

Now...Try it out again in the daytime. If it makes you more comfortable, ease into it by taking small trips at first...even if just taking out the trash. It may feel like 1,000 eyes are watching you....but they're not.

Carry the PaOpenCarry.org flyer on you at all times (I carry 2-3 so I can leave one with someone if I want).

Orrrrrr....since I'm not trying to pressure/encourage you to do something you'd rather not do, continue to carry CC.........As long as you are carrying, it doesn't really matter!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Venango County)

He doesn't have his LTCF yet.....short story....get one

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Dauphin County)

He doesn't have his LTCF yet.....short story....get one
    I'm thinking since he's only 21 years old, he's already applied for it but just hasn't received it yet from the Sheriff's Office.

-38SnubFan

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    I'm thinking since he's only 21 years old, he's already applied for it but just hasn't received it yet from the Sheriff's Office.

-38SnubFan
    thats my story and im sticking to it. Until that little yellow card shows up.

Glad to hear you're ok.

(Washington County)

Hit the courthouse downtown, pick up your LTCF, takes 20 min and 25 bucks

I agree with emptymag here, always let someone else know whats going on... maybe a friend. "I saw something fishy out front with the door, so Im going around back to make sure everything else is ok"

Or, just ask the cops to check out the back next time. If they are out and about already, its just another part of the rounds.

(Allegheny County)

I will get my LTCF next time I'm back in my home county on the other side of the state.

Not telling anyone what I was doing was a big mistake. If my roommate had been here he certainly would have known, and he probably would have gone outside to check with me.

Two years ago someone pushed a couch in front of the door of a house in south Oakland. Then a fire started and some people couldn't get out in time. I was pretty worried about something like that happening again.

(Westmoreland County)

See the LTCF post in the Allegheny County section for some bus info if you want to get Downtown to the Courthouse and back to Oakland.

GET YOUR LTCF!
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Dauphin County)

just a thought, did you contact your "buddies" ? maybe they were playing a prank on you ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast