Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Any opinions on the LC9?

Thinking about getting a hold of a Ruger LC9. Just wondering if anybody has or has had one, and what they thought about it. Pros? Cons? I know some of you reading this will tell me to go with some other brand or what not, but I ask you to please refrain for right now. Only interested in hearing about LC9. Thanks!
    Obama hates me. White, male, employed, heterosexual, gun owner.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Any opinions on the LC9?

I bought one as my first pistol and I really like it. I thought it would be easy to conceal, and probably for a guy it would be but as a woman, I use it in my carry handbag and I carry an LCP on my person.

The good/bad would be the long trigger pull. I got it on purpose for myself because I WANTED a long trigger pull for extra security. Others may not like it so well. I found it took practice to pull it all the way back while keeping your aim steady. But with practice, I found it to be a quite accurate gun. The safety is super easy to flick off during a draw. It feels good in my hand as well. It has some decent recoil, being compact.

I like it though....I find I really like Ruger, anyway...I have the LC9 and the LCP and the SR22 pistol. My husband has a Smith & Wesson 9mm as well as a S&W Bodyguard. But I prefer my Rugers.

I'm not a pro....I only just got my LTCF at the beginning of this year, but I figured I'd pipe in.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Bucks County)

I shoot my LC9 better than most of my other autos - including my HK P30 .40. It just fits me right I guess. I have no issues with the long trigger - and in fact I bought it specifically for that purpose. No holster - I bought it to carry when engaged in sports where I can't wear a holster - I have several other means by which I pack it and I wanted something that I would be a little more comfortable with than say a Glock without a holster i.e., trigger guard. Anyway - I don't regret buying it for that money it was well worth it. It has operated flawlessly and like I said - I personally am dead nuts accurate with it. I find it fun to shoot too. I think there are more refined options now but again for the money - it's pretty hard to beat I think. I think I'll be keeping it for a long long time - have no intention of getting rid of it. It serves a very specific purpose for me and I only use it for that. Normally when not engaged in heavy sports I'd be carrying at minimum a .40 and well....a nice array of scalpel sharp edged instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by jben5108 View Post
    Thinking about getting a hold of a Ruger LC9. Just wondering if anybody has or has had one, and what they thought about it. Pros? Cons? I know some of you reading this will tell me to go with some other brand or what not, but I ask you to please refrain for right now. Only interested in hearing about LC9. Thanks!
    Here is a review I did a couple of months ago with some comments from others. I like the gun a lot.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/17...c9-review.html

I love mine. At the time I was deciding between the PF9 and the LC9. Handled both and went with the LC9 even though the PF9's can be had for cheap. Here's mine currently:

Galloway Precision trigger bar, hammer, trigger. Removed magazine disconnect. Stainless steel guide rod. XS big dot sights. Cerokote finish by Easton Firearms Refinishing.

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Philadelphia County)

Looooooooooooooooooooooooong trigger pull. But I believe they sell parts online that you can install to give it a better trigger. Other than that, I think it is a perfect CC weapon (not too big, not too small, 9mm is adequate, mag capacity is acceptable).

(Monroe County)

Hands down worst trigger I've ever pulled in my entire life. The LC9's trigger utterly destroys the S&W 9VE's infamous trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

I too disliked the LC9 trigger pull. The PF9 pull was more consistent. However, I preferred the LC9 to the PF9 as a whole (ability to dry-fire practice, fit and finish, use of +P).

What I notice with the LC9 is the trigger must be pulled all the way back to the trigger guard. It had a point near the back where it felt as if it would break, but doesn't. A little more pull and it broke. This false break point was at first causing me to flick rounds low left (right handed shooter). A box of ammo through the LC9 to get the feel down and I was fine afterwards. With some practice, I greatly improved.

However, the galloway setup (just the trigger bar and hammer) for $40 eliminated the false break point, cut the pull in half, and shorten the reset. Made it a much better shooter and better than the PF9's trigger.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Hands down worst trigger I've ever pulled in my entire life. The LC9's trigger utterly destroys the S&W 9VE's infamous trigger.
    Agreed. It's seriously bad. Do not underestimate how bad this trigger is.

(Luzerne County)

I bought a LC9 for my first pistol because it very concealable. Shot well with zero problems. Trigger pull was long as most will say. I liked it but I wanted something a little more so I switched to the SR40c.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast