Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default The University of Colo. Is Segregating Students Based on Gun Permits

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-...t-should-poll/

If you think this is right or wrong, Guess which parts of campus will be the safest....

Might prove to be an interesting experiment.

The poll and video are at the link.

By now you might know that the University of Colorado has decided to comply with a state supreme court ruling saying that it cannot ban permit-carrying students from having guns on campus. But in complying, the university has created a separate controversy: It has decided to segregate those students with concealed carry permits. Now, if a student has a permit and is living on campus, that student will have to live in separate dorms off campus.
    While students are now permitted to carry legal guns in campus buildings, certain restrictions apply. For example, large ticketed events such as football games will still be off limits for gun-carriers.
    And while protection advocates believe the law is a step in the right direction, not everyone is happy — especially because it seems to fly in the face of the logic that legal gun carriers sprinkled throughout a campus at all times actually helps prevent violence.
    A scathing editorial in the Colorado Springs Gazette lays out that argument [emphasis added]:
    Nearly all modern massacres have occurred in “gun-free” zones. It is likely that gun-free zones attract homicidal maniacs, who want the highest death tolls possible before they are stopped. If guns aren’t allowed, no one is likely to shoot back. It is hard to imagine that mere coincidence explains the common thread of “gun-free” rules at massacre locations, such as Columbine High School, Aurora’s Century 16 Theater and Virginia Tech. It seems like common sense that “no gun” signs ensure predators of soft, defenseless targets.

Given these observations, tt is beyond belief that members of the Colorado Board of Regents have indulged a publicity stunt that establishes new “gun-free” zones on college campuses. Their actions could get students killed.
    [...]
    Colorado law allows only law-abiding adults age 21 and up to obtain concealed carry permits. Almost no one living in a freshman dorm is over the age of 21. In the unlikely event a full-fledged adult with a concealed carry permit lives in a freshman dorm, his or her presence enhances safety. Concealed carry permittees are trained and screened. The new rule is a policy in search of a problem, and it ensures criminals of new defenseless targets.
    Regents and administrators have managed only to promise all predators that freshman dorms are defenseless, gun-free zones. Their new rule will almost certainly result in “no gun” signs on dormitory doors.
    [...]
    We concur, but take strong objection to the needless and self-indulgent endangerment of freshmen in dorms. That new rule is dangerous, unconscionable and probably illegal.
    A Denver Post editorial, however, takes a different approach [emphasis added]:
    We doubt that the plan goes far enough for gun-rights owners, however, and won’t be surprised if the issue returns to the courts.
    The new policy springs from a Colorado Supreme Court ruling in March that upheld a lower-court ruling striking down a total gun ban on University of Colorado campuses.
    The suit was filed by students who held concealed-carry permits and were denied permission to bring weapons on campus.
    The students argued that the legislature did not include colleges on the list of institutions in which the Concealed Carry Act could be “specifically limited.”
    And they were right.
    That should change.
    The university’s Board of Regents should be allowed to determine the gun rules on campus — including whether a total ban is in order. It’s the same authority currently given to those bodies that oversee county courthouses and K-12 schools.
    As we said in March, such a revision would put this important school safety decision where it belongs — with those who are intimately familiar with the school, its culture and student mix.
    Now that you’ve read separate views on the issue, take our poll below and let us know what you think:

(Berks County)

Default Re: The University of Colo. Is Segregating Students Based on Gun Permits

Although the keeping/bearing of firearms isn't covered under the Civil Rights Act per se, carrying is indeed an individual civil right as per the 2nd Amendment. If the university were segregating in any way other than with respect to firearms (read: gender, race, etc.), the public would be in an uproar over the obvious civil rights violations.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the article in question, as well as the sources cited, haven't raised that obvious point. Instead, they're arguing the "gun free zone" issue, and although that argument has merit, I think opponents to campus carry would be far less willing to argue against the violation of one's civil rights.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Centre County)

Default Re: The University of Colo. Is Segregating Students Based on Gun Permits

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Although the keeping/bearing of firearms isn't covered under the Civil Rights Act per se, carrying is indeed an individual civil right as per the 2nd Amendment. If the university were segregating in any way other than with respect to firearms (read: gender, race, etc.), the public would be in an uproar over the obvious civil rights violations.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the article in question, as well as the sources cited, haven't raised that obvious point. Instead, they're arguing the "gun free zone" issue, and although that argument has merit, I think opponents to campus carry would be far less willing to argue against the violation of one's civil rights.
    Interesting point I bolded.

I submitted a question to be used in the poll. After you sign up and enter a question, they say that your question will be reviewed before being added.

I doubt mine will be added. It was basically this:
    If you agree to this type of segregatiion, would you agree to racial segregation?

What are the odds???
    Last edited by TheF00L; August 21st, 2012 at 09:43 AM.

(Centre County)

If you agree this type of segregation is acceptable, would you also allow racial segregation

The question did make the poll

So far...
    Yes18%No82%

Seems easy to get a question on this poll. Jump on the band wagon folks.

Done, good thought on that.

(Centre County)

Mod's

I searched the new posts and the General posts for this story but did not see it in the CCW section. http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...w-housing.html

Please move if needed. This one contains a good poll for our folks to read about and answer.

(Lehigh County)

This is what I was talking about in the Promenade Shops thread. We are being prohibited from exercising a civil right.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Bucks County)

I wish they would segregate our neighborhhods based on guns/no guns.

That way we would be surrounded and robbers would know not to come to our neighborhood. As it is now, only one side of me is protected.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Those arguing the gun free zone remind me of neighbors I had in our first house. They were anti gun but once we started experiencing a few cases of home burgularies, vadalism, etc... they would show up at my door every time a cricket chirped asking me to come "take a look around". My answer was typically no because I didn't want to be mistaken by a responding police officer and shot trying to do a good deed.

Gun free zones don't stop criminals intent on carrying a gun.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    This is what I was talking about in the Promenade Shops thread. We are being prohibited from exercising a civil right.
    This thread is discussing something markedly different than prohibition. U of C isn't prohibiting carry; however, what they're doing is attempting to segregate those who do carry by disallowing them to dorm on campus. While this is coercion to a degree, it's no prohibition.

Let's not mix the topics of the Promenade shops thread with this one, as they are separate, and it's well established (at least in PA) that private property owners can deny access to or use of their property for any reason that doesn't included the "protected classes". Unfortunately, keepers/bearers of arms are not a protected class.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast