Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Anyone else think shooting at a range is to expensive

After a recent trip to A&S range i started to think to myself shooting at a range is way to costly for what it is. By the time you do all the math on range time and ammo cost even shooting Tulla from Walmart I burned through about 200 bucks just to shoot i am having a hard time justifying the money spend on it. Now if it i had spent 200 beans on a handgun defense class or some type of tactical course i think that would be fine but i was just shooting paper.

Anyone agree disagree and why?

Default Re: Anyone else think shooting at a range is to expensive

Taking classes is a good idea. Going to the range is a good idea. However, after you reach certain level of proficiency you don't NEED to go all the time. Just every so often to stay sharp.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    Taking classes is a good idea. Going to the range is a good idea. However, after you reach certain level of proficiency you don't NEED to go all the time. Just every so often to stay sharp.
    Quoted for the truth...

Schooling is a great idea. Building skills can take awhile, but you will reach a point where you really wont improve anymore and really wont drop off with absenses from the range.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by joecooltech View Post
    Now if it i had spent 200 beans on a handgun defense class or some type of tactical course i think that would be fine but i was just shooting paper.
    And if you find yourself in a situation where you have to shoot at something other than paper?

This is why people in the military participate in numerous, sometimes mind-numbing training exercises - just in case they need to utilize their training. Been there, done that.

Bad guys, rabid animals, feral dogs - they're not targets, but they're out there.

(Bucks County)

For some it is also a hobby, others have many hobbies, some just have a few and pour their money into it.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

After a recent trip to A&S range i started to think to myself shooting at a range is way to costly for what it is. By the time you do all the math on range time and ammo cost even shooting Tulla from Walmart I burned through about 200 bucks just to shoot i am having a hard time justifying the money spend on it. Now if it i had spent 200 beans on a handgun defense class or some type of tactical course i think that would be fine but i was just shooting paper.

I'll assume, $25 for range fees... if you went through $175 in ammo and targets in one trip, you were likely just wasting ammo. What was that, 500+ rounds? Slow down and shoot a little less. Unless you had some good structured drills for learning, you probably didn't pick up anything except bad habits after the first 100 - 150 rounds.

Cost is a great argument for a .22. A good .22 pistol is like enhanced dry firing. You get to practice your trigger mechanics, it auto cocks, and you actually see the results. And a brick of 500 is less than $20. In less than 2 of your $200 range trips, you would have saved enough money to buy an S&W 22a, or Ruger pistol.

Shooting should be a fun hobby... if it isn't enough fun for the $$, then cut back. (And remember, a class is also going to incur ammo costs)

(Allegheny County)

I think I went to an indoor, PUBLIC range three times before I decided to join a club. I'd have gone broke otherwise.

It cost me less to join PMSC for one YEAR than I spent in one TRIP to Anthony Arms. (And you have to buy THEIR ammo - at least you did several years ago)
    Last edited by Emptymag; August 20th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

One word:
    Insurance

(Allegheny County)

Most for profit indoor ranges are to expensive for the average Joe to shoot at regularly without making some serious sacrifices.

Here are my tips for training cheaper.

Dry Fire - Cost from nothing to a few bucks for dummy rounds. The dummy rounds help for thing like mag changes and simulated malfunctions. At the top end a laser to help with trigger control.

.22 - depending on what you are shooting you may be able to get a conversion. I know there are conversion for AR, 1911, CZ and Glock. Even a complete .22 will pay for itself over time.

Join A Club - Even clubs with indoor ranges that have a per use fee, it's usually way less than for profit indoor ranges.

Take the cash you save and put it toward reputable professional training.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 20th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    One word:
    Insurance
    Two words:
    Back yard .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast