Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FOAC???? New to all this

ok guys What is the FOAC and what are the benefits of becoming a member? Sorry for such a noob question but everyone has to start somewhere......Any advice or info would be great. Thank you all yet again

Default Re: FOAC???? New to all this

Firearm Owners Against Crime

Here is a link:
    http://www.foac-pac.org/mission

Since becoming involved with this organization, I have gained knowledge in the workings of the government and an understanding of the process of getting bills into laws.

I have been lucky enough to be able to see the positive impact this group has directly had on getting common sense gun laws passed.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

(Bucks County)

Many members on here. Great grass roots org. People who get it done!

(Chester County)

If you are looking for benefits like trinkets, teaser insurance and a Visa card, FOAC is not the organization for you. If you want to support a group of hard working volunteers who have worked tirelessly for every single gain we have made in PA law, sign up and learn how to help.

I have walked the statehouse halls with them and have seen first hand how effective the FOAC folks are, and how organizations like CeaseFire PA are working just as hard to restrict our rights. From what I have been able to determine, FOAC is not a big money organization; their political currency is votes (as I believe the Founding Fathers intended). It is certainly worthy of my support.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Not a noob question. Doesn't hurt to ask. It helps others learn, like myself. I was unaware of what they were and who they stood for.

(Centre County)

Here in PA, it has been the FOAC that has forced the modification of the gun laws (making them more gun friendly), not the NRA. The NRA cares about "the big picture", not the local/state laws that restrict law abiding gun owners. This is where the FOAC steps in, to right the wrongs being done to the law abiding. The latest "stand your ground" and other changes in PA law were made possible by FOAC members (not the NRA) showing the legislature where they needed to make changes. We fight the local municipalities that try to write restrictive gun laws that are not allowed by PA law. We have been very sucessful in changing/deleting many local anti-gun ordinances, much to the chagrin of the anti's (who want even more restrictions). This is done without much money to work with. Why? Because the FOAC is made up of very active concerned volunteers that understand that it is at the grassroots where things need to be done to get the law(s) changed. Our activists just keep harping at the legislaters, explaining to them what the law says and if wrong, why it needs changed. We support those that support the 2nd amendment and vigorously opposite those that wish to take away or restrict our gun rights.

Even if you're not the type that wants to be in the forefront talking directly to the folks at the state (or even the local) levels, we can use the funding which you can help with by joining our ranks. Every little bit will help. Then if something comes up in your area, and a few FOAC members "take on the establishment", you can show support by showing up at these meetings, even if you don't say a word.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

ok thank you guys for all the info, Definately something I will be checking into.......No im not looking for crimpets or whatever they are called........lol.......I was just wondering what it is all about and why so many people here are part of it. Thanks again guys and I may be joining up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdewalt1985 View Post
    ok guys What is the FOAC and what are the benefits of becoming a member? Sorry for such a noob question but everyone has to start somewhere......Any advice or info would be great. Thank you all yet again
    Hardly a "noob" question, sir. If you don't ask, you'll not find a suitable reason to support, and hopefully join, Firearms Owners Against Crime. Before getting into what we do, its important that you understand that there are no paid members in FOAC. We all pay our ten bucks year in dues, and that pays for website maintenance, and administrative costs. We don't sell wine, we don't sell cancer insurance, hearing protection, life insurance, and so forth. We don't have any ties to liability insurance companies. Indeed, we are not indebted to anyone but the law abiding firearm owner.

So, what do we do? Collectively, we spread the word about responsible gun ownership at gun shows, sportsmens clubs, and other free thinking organizations that invite us to tell them about "gun friendly" Pennsylvania. We do a workmanlike job, at our own expense, of telling interested parties that our firearms freedoms, and by extension other freedoms, are under constant attack. We maintain a website www.foac-pac.org that features articles that show how CeaseFirePA and others are well funded by interests that would have your guns. You may also see archived articles about the abuses of power that are seldom, if ever, reported in the mainstream media.

For me, our voter's guide is crucial. Its based on personal interviews with candidates, a carefully prepared questionnaire, the voting records of incumbents and other facts, not opinions. Not all Republicans are staunch supporters of the Second Amendment, and not all Democrats are against it. Because we have no party affiliations, we can endorse or recommend candidates without fear of losing the support of either party.

Legislation is tracked carefully, and we put considerable effort into speaking with our legislators in the PA House and Senate, encouraging them to repeal draconian laws (for example, transportation of firearms), and support laws that restore individual freedoms. HB 1860 is a good example, as it would strengthen your rights under the Castle Doctrine.

Should you join? Personally, your ten bucks is not of primary importance. (My membership chairman will be on the phone screaming as soon as he reads this). We need folks who are willing to give a mere 8 hours a year of their time. Membership dues are actually fairly useless unless the member spends some time in Harrisburg with us, pens off an occasional letter to the editor, teaches his children about responsible gun ownership, and conducts himself in a manner that reflects well upon himself and FOAC.

And what can you expect in return? Nothing more than the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts preserve the right to defend yourself against criminals and tyrants for future generations.
    WOP 2-The Original Spaghetti Western

(Montgomery County)

I was thinking of joining them also. Is there a way to donate money to them? Would the extra money help at all?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Allegheny County)

FOAC is like the NRA for PA only, except they actually do something productive and don't spam you with junk mail/email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast