Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Winchester white box 9mm duds

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Please post the lot numbers from the box of ammo that contained the defective cartridges.
    I added them to the end of the first post last night. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by the1jeffy View Post
    I'm glad Winchester is taking care of you. Sorry I didn't post back sooner, but I was working.

How certain are you that the red color is a laquer? I attached a photo why I think it is not, and is a result of heat instead. I can into more detail if you want, but I figure YMMV.

Long story short, If I see that coloring on my ammo, I wouldn't fire it. Sorry for the image size.
    I'm not certain.

The reason I thought/think it's lacquer or something similar is because it appears to be "chipped" in a few places. Here's an example cropped from one of the photos in my first post:

You can see that the purplish area has a fairly well defined edge within the extractor groove which appear to be interrupted with a chip or dip on the left half of the photo above. Perhaps this round has both an oxidation layer (brownish) and some kind of coating (purplish)?

When I loaded the older rounds into my mags I recall noticing that they were a bit darker than the newer rounds, so I suspect this was one from the older lot, but I can't be sure.
    Last edited by twency; August 21st, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I added them to the end of the first post last night. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.
    Thanks for posting the lot numbers,I'll check mine after work to see if I have any of this ammo.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Dauphin County)

I'm happy to report that the manufacturer isn't messing around. Less than 24 hours after I emailed Olin, a UPS guy rang my doorbell with a call tag (paid shipping label) for sending the duds and boxes back to Olin's QA dept.

(Monroe County)

I could not locate any numbers embossed on the box, the only numbers I could find were in ink on the bottom.

CT510EY
    E129265
    K7190

Same for all three boxes I have. I got bogged down with work today, but will be calling them tomorrow.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LenP View Post
    I could not locate any numbers embossed on the box, the only numbers I could find were in ink on the bottom.

CT510EY
    E129265
    K7190

Same for all three boxes I have. I got bogged down with work today, but will be calling them tomorrow.
    That same sequence was printed on the bottom of my newer box, but apparently that's not the lot number (or not all of it anyway). I just took a quick photo to illustrate where I found the embossed lot number on both of the boxes. I was feeling lazy so it's just a simple snapshot with the area of the embossed # circled. If I did a proper macro setup with some side-lighting I could make the number more visible, but like I said I was feeling lazy.

The other info printed on the bottom of the box may also be important, I don't know.
    Last edited by twency; August 21st, 2012 at 10:54 PM.

(Bucks County)

Just checked the eight boxes that I bought on Sunday, all fg11 lot # looked through a few rounds and a few look a bit off, want to see what happens with this before I shoot any, maybe I'll disassemble a round and see how it looks

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    That same sequence was printed on the bottom of my newer box, but apparently that's not the lot number (or not all of it anyway). I just took a quick photo to illustrate where I found the embossed lot number on both of the boxes. I was feeling lazy so it's just a simple snapshot with the area of the embossed # circled. If I did a proper macro setup with some side-lighting I could make the number more visible, but like I said I was feeling lazy.

The other info printed on the bottom of the box may also be important, I don't know.
    Thanks, that pic helped. All three boxes I have are FG11.

(Bucks County)

Not surprised. WWB has long been known to be "cheap" in every sense. I think a 98% success rate is doing pretty good for WWB. Sorry to hear of you gun jams though.

(Northampton County)

I really think you guys should consider making the switch. You can even get Fiocchi by the half case delivered cheaper than WWB now:

http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/pr...&ret_id=140211

Check online ammo prices here:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

Dan's ammo doesn't seem to have any right now but they are great and in Pennsylvania so check in from time to time:

http://www.dansammo.com/

I haven't been to a gun show in about 4 or 5 months but that last one I went to they were selling Fiocchi out the door, BY THE BOX, cheaper than WWB.

If you are not going to buy a case or a half case, at least pick up a few boxes at the next gun show to try out if it is the same price or less than WWB. You'll never go back once you try it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast