Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OC Encounter at Acme supermarket

One of my roomates and I went to pick up a few things for dinner at the Acme in Manayunk'/ Roxborough. I was OCing my G23 in my SERPA as usual.While shopping I noticed an employee following me at times but he said nothing. As we made our way to the self checkout he was really staring at me.. I walked past him because I forgot to get some whipped cream and the following conversation happened:
    Manager: Excuse me sir would you mind concealing your firearm. Some of the customers are getting scared.
    Me: I don't see anyone who looks frightened. I'm just about to checkout and leave anyway.
    Manager: Well can you please cover it up, there are many families here. Unless you're law enforcement in which case I understand.
    Me: Are you asking me to leave or can I continue shopping
    Manager: No you don't have to lea......
    Me: okay we'll I'll go get my whipped cream and be on my way... ( I walk away)

I didn't see it but my roomate did.She said he shook his head in disgust and said "Damn Kid". He then instructed another Employee to "watch me". I walked passed him again, paid for my items and left the store.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: OC Encounter at Acme supermarket

I'm surprised he didn't ask you if you were going to use the whipped cream the correct way also. Damn kids!!!
    "The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustasche"

(Lancaster County)

Tell them to pretend you are a cop. ” If you are a police officer then of course I understand”. So, it magically becomes less scary, a guy in street clothes with a gun? I hate people. I wish all you guys were surrounded by the folks in my area. I barely get a second glance, usually amuse smiles.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Tell them to pretend you are a cop. ” If you are a police officer then of course I understand”. So, it magically becomes less scary, a guy in street clothes with a gun? I hate people. I wish all you guys were surrounded by the folks in my area. I barely get a second glance, usually amuse smiles.
    I barely get any second glances here in Norristown. I do get the occassional young buck commenting on my jawn. I even went to the M.S.S. feast today where there was a lot of people and I didn't even get any second glances. Of course we were all Sicilians at the feast.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Bucks County)

Try this next time if they ask if you're a cop: "Everyone in my Department was advised to answer no to that question , for safety reasons".

(Cambria County)

He then instructed another Employee to "watch me". I walked passed him again, paid for my items and left the store.
    Um, The manager weaseled out of it and told another employee to watch you?? I guess the manager wasn't really all that concerned if he can't actually take care of it himself...........

Either that or he is just a wuss

By the way,,,, where were Willy Coyote and the Road-Runner while all this was happening??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by EMT-B_Medic Student View Post
    One of my roomates and I went to pick up a few things for dinner at the Acme in Manayunk'/ Roxborough. I was OCing my G23 in my SERPA as usual.While shopping I noticed an employee following me at times but he said nothing. As we made our way to the self checkout he was really staring at me.. I walked past him because I forgot to get some whipped cream and the following conversation happened:
    Manager: Excuse me sir would you mind concealing your firearm. Some of the customers are getting scared.
    Me: I don't see anyone who looks frightened. I'm just about to checkout and leave anyway.
    Manager: Well can you please cover it up, there are many families here. Unless you're law enforcement in which case I understand.
    Me: Are you asking me to leave or can I continue shopping
    Manager: No you don't have to lea......
    Me: okay we'll I'll go get my whipped cream and be on my way... ( I walk away)

I didn't see it but my roomate did.She said he shook his head in disgust and said "Damn Kid". He then instructed another Employee to "watch me". I walked passed him again, paid for my items and left the store.

I am sorry thT the manager followed you, stared at you and was something of a jerk but I think that your attitude and response is worse. By your own words, he asked you to conceal and you refused to do as asked by the manager of a retail store. IMO at that point you were breaking the law and giving OC a bad name.

We may not like the narrow minded people but he has all of the power in the situation that you described. Once they say leave or to conceal that is it -- period. Your failure to comply is a BIG problem.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post
    I am sorry thT the manager followed you, stared at you and was something of a jerk but I think that your attitude and response is worse. By your own words, he asked you to conceal and you refused to do as asked by the manager of a retail store. IMO at that point you were breaking the law and giving OC a bad name.

We may not like the narrow minded people but he has all of the power in the situation that you described. Once they say leave or to conceal that is it -- period. Your failure to comply is a BIG problem.
    The manager never asked him to leave-- no violation.

Refusing to cover up is like me refusing to take my hat off. He can ask, but it doesn't mean I'm trespassing if I don't. Now if he would've said "conceal or GTFO", then I'd agree with you.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post

Disagree totally. And if the OP didn't have a LTCF, the manager would have been asking him to break the law. Property rights go so far, and the OP asked if the manager was requesting he leave. Other than that, the manager pound sand.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    Disagree totally. And if the OP didn't have a LTCF, the manager would have been asking him to break the law. Property rights go so far, and the OP asked if the manager was requesting he leave. Other than that, the manager pound sand.
    Then you explain that to the guy instead of refusing three times to cover up as he asks and then just rudely walk away. Here was a chance to educate. I thought the goal was to make OC socially acceptable.... that's not how you do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast