Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Usability

Default Usability

There's your problem, JayBell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Usability

I'm not sure what you posted there, min doesn't look anything like that, and its not due to "useability".

*I* dont have a problem, but apparently folks around here cant understand some damn simple instructions.

"non firearm related politics posts get posted in the Political Wasteland forum, or they get deleted."

see? simple, and even in english.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

What I am posting is a comparison between posting a new thread in the Lounge, and in PW - where the layout and design of the website creates confusion in the viewer thinking he is posting in PW in both cases, due to the prominence and greater contrast of the words "Political Wasteland" near and around the "New Thread" button.

Yours may not look like that, but it does for me, and I am sure others as well. This is a common usability issue with many many websites that inadvertently create confusion by inconvenient and perhaps unintended juxtaposition.

You (the proverbial "you guys") can do what you want with this information, including ignore it, if you wish. Just trying to save you some frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    ...the layout and design of the website creates confusion in the viewer thinking he is posting in PW in both cases, due to the prominence and greater contrast of the words "Political Wasteland" near and around the "New Thread" button.
    FWIW, I see it the same way and was briefly confused when I first noticed it a while back when posting in the Lounge.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; August 14th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    What I am posting is a comparison between posting a new thread in the Lounge, and in PW - where the layout and design of the website creates confusion in the viewer thinking he is posting in PW in both cases, due to the prominence and greater contrast of the words "Political Wasteland" near and around the "New Thread" button.

Yours may not look like that, but it does for me, and I am sure others as well. This is a common usability issue with many many websites that inadvertently create confusion by inconvenient and perhaps unintended juxtaposition.

You (the proverbial "you guys") can do what you want with this information, including ignore it, if you wish. Just trying to save you some frustration.

I've reported this to see if an admin can fix it... I was confused as this is how I see the lounge, with the subforum of the Political Wasteland.
    As a note, I use Firefox with both adaware, and noscript running at all times.. I wonder is that is why... and also, what browser are you using, or is it a mobile device?

th site should not look like how you are showing it, imo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JayBell; August 14th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Mine screen looks like yours Jay.....and I also use FF.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

Okay, so we are seeing it the same way. I just didn't do a great job articulating what I see.

In the image I attached, there are two screen cuts. My view of the lounge is on the left, and my view of PW is on the right. The way I see the lounge in full screen is the same way you see it.

In the Lounge view, my eyes are drawn the the dark, bolded "Political Wasteland" above the "New Thread" button rather than the soft, light colored "Lounge" below and to the right. No matter how many times I look away and look back, my brain goes "Ah! Political Wasteland. New Thread. Amazeballs!"

I hope this is more clear

(Montgomery County)

oh.. ok, I get it... then you need to make sure you actually enter the subforum before you hit the "new thread" button... this is would appear to be a occasional user error then...regrettably, theres really not much we can do about that. (cept point out that "yer doin it wrong"

ok then, I saw the pic ya posted and was like "wtf is wrong with his computer?!!??"