Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New TV

(Lehigh County)

Default New TV

Need a new tv what do you guys have and do you like them? LCD or Plasma any opinions welcomed.
    Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: New TV

I have a Sony 52" LCD projection TV and I have done nothing put replace parts! It has a good picture but it just had too many problems. I also have a DLP projector that has an amazing picture quality @ 10’

If you don't need to hang it on the wall then I would go with a projection TV. There is no burn-in and the picture quality is much better. With larger LCD/plasma screen you will get a lot of artifacts (pixilation) during action/water scenes.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveXD View Post
    I have a Sony 52" LCD projection TV and I have done nothing put replace parts! It has a good picture but it just had too many problems. I also have a DLP projector that has an amazing picture quality @ 10’

If you don't need to hang it on the wall then I would go with a projection TV. There is no burn-in and the picture quality is much better. With larger LCD/plasma screen you will get a lot of artifacts (pixilation) during action/water scenes.
    Actually the sony 46 is one of th ones i was interested in and it will be going on a wall. Thanks

(Westmoreland County)

I have a Sony 42" 3LCD Rear Projection and I love it! Just keep in mind that all HDTV's have a recommended viewing distance as well as optimum viewing angles. Mine is just right at 7-8 feet. Also, plan on getting HD service because Standard Def looks like crap on an HDTV! Nobody wants you to know that, but I'll tell ya like it is!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Pike County)

Welcome to the quest from HELL...

There are so many TV's out there with alll these freakin options you will never need or use.

The wife and I about 1.5-2 years ago bought a vizio 42" LCD and love it. No problems .

We liked the samsung more but couldnt justify the 700+ dollars more price tag.
    At first we looked at the projection units, they are nice. BUT take up alot of room/floor space.
    I would think of the following..
    if considering a projection TV, go get a box about the same size from a store. Move it around your room and see how much space you are going to lose.
    Flat panels, they are lighter and offer more options for saving space. you can place em on a stand, hang em anywhere etc. . Cant do that with a projection.
    Also consider the view angle, in the store start from in front and move off to angles. The plasmas/LCD have much more view angle than the projection units.
    When looking at them in the store remember to viem from about the height you will be sitting at. most folks will be seated when watching TV. so this is how you will view the picture the most, try it bring a milk crate if ya have to.

Another thing, what ever ones you look at dont just look at them, fondle the remote..From the time the TV is set up for display 1 million sets of fingers and every pimple faced kid have manipulated the picture settings. Some like more tint and lighter contrast, etc. Find the remote and put settings back to factory settings and go from there.
    We looked at some TV's and said wow what a crappy picture, grabbed the remote reset the settings and man what a differance it made.

Anyway, the vizio's are a great bang for the buck. Are there better TV's yup but they cost alot more too. So depending on your bank account, remember to buy what you like, not what the salesperson talks up for his sale.

here is a helpfull link..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

One last thing, shave your head before you go shopping. with all the numbers crap the sales folks spew out, you'll go nuts and burn a braincell or two and rip your hair out...if it aint there you will be fine, less pain..

Good luck, Snert...

(Chester County)

+1 on the non HD looking terrible. Every time I watch the Simpsons I can’t enjoy it because everyone has square eyes

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Welcome to the quest from HELL...

There are so many TV's out there with alll these freakin options you will never need or use.

The wife and I about 1.5-2 years ago bought a vizio 42" LCD and love it. No problems .

We liked the samsung more but couldnt justify the 700+ dollars more price tag.
    At first we looked at the projection units, they are nice. BUT take up alot of room/floor space.
    I would think of the following..
    if considering a projection TV, go get a box about the same size from a store. Move it around your room and see how much space you are going to lose.
    Flat panels, they are lighter and offer more options for saving space. you can place em on a stand, hang em anywhere etc. . Cant do that with a projection.
    Also consider the view angle, in the store start from in front and move off to angles. The plasmas/LCD have much more view angle than the projection units.
    When looking at them in the store remember to viem from about the height you will be sitting at. most folks will be seated when watching TV. so this is how you will view the picture the most, try it bring a milk crate if ya have to.

Another thing, what ever ones you look at dont just look at them, fondle the remote..From the time the TV is set up for display 1 million sets of fingers and every pimple faced kid have manipulated the picture settings. Some like more tint and lighter contrast, etc. Find the remote and put settings back to factory settings and go from there.
    We looked at some TV's and said wow what a crappy picture, grabbed the remote reset the settings and man what a differance it made.

Anyway, the vizio's are a great bang for the buck. Are there better TV's yup but they cost alot more too. So depending on your bank account, remember to buy what you like, not what the salesperson talks up for his sale.

here is a helpfull link..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

One last thing, shave your head before you go shopping. with all the numbers crap the sales folks spew out, you'll go nuts and burn a braincell or two and rip your hair out...if it aint there you will be fine, less pain..

Good luck, Snert...
    Been to a few stores and those people are no help whatsoever. Definitely need a panel to hang to keep the wife happy, too many options. Thanks for help. I was checking out the avs forum lots of info but very technical stuff hoping for some input from the regular tv watcher. I have hd available and have seen on others tv how bad standard def looks.
    Last edited by Gkgas; March 3rd, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkgas View Post
    Been to a few stores and those people are no help whatsoever.
    Don't you just love that. Before I set out on a adventure such as this I read consumer reports and generally do a little research, like what your doing, finding out first hand. Then you go into Best Buy or where ever and you get some numb skull who don't anything about anything and expect you to buy something...even if it's not what you want. I love screwing with these people...asking questions I already know the answer to just to hear thier line of BS. Ranks right up there with shopping for a car.

(Montgomery County)

I've got a 46" Sony Bravia XBR2, and I absolutely love it. It's full 1080P, and the picture quality is one of the best I've seen. I bought it when it was over $4,000, now you can get an XBR4 for $3,299.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1184369372441

Proud member of:

(Westmoreland County)

Oh, another thing...look at www.crutchfield.com for info on anything electronic! Good descriptions, reviews and other helpful info!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast