Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Moving to the Burgh.

Hello all...

I am in the process of re-locating back to Pittsburgh. I have heard the Allegheny County can be a bit of a bear to get a permit/license.

Can anyone expand on the process and any problems I might have?

Currently I have an Ohio and non-res FL. ...can't think of any reason to get denied, but I will await your responses.

Also, can I keep a Florida non-res license as a resident in PA / Allegheny county?

thanks...
    NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Moving to the Burgh.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksnack View Post
    Hello all...

I am in the process of re-locating back to Pittsburgh. I have heard the Allegheny County can be a bit of a bear to get a permit/license.

Can anyone expand on the process and any problems I might have?

Currently I have an Ohio and non-res FL. ...can't think of any reason to get denied, but I will await your responses.

Also, can I keep a Florida non-res license as a resident in PA / Allegheny county?

thanks...
    The biggest problem I had was finding a parking spot downtown. With the T expansion park in the north shore lots and take the T over.

All the info you need is right here:

http://sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms.html

I got notice of my approval after mailing in my application in a week.

As to the FL licence. I believe you can keep it, but I'm not sure so someone else can elaborate on that.

Welcome back to Pittsburgh.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know who told you that Allegheny County is a hard place to get a LTCF but in my experience they couldn't have been more wrong. I applied by email last Monday (August 6th) and had the license in my hand yesterday (August 14th). Like the previous poster said, the hardest part was finding parking near the building. I was able to find a spot 5-6 blocks away and was able to walk to the firearms office, get my license, and get back to my car in under 30 minutes. (I know it was under 30 because that's all the time I had on my parking meter.)

(Allegheny County)

Very easy once you get to the office, but make sure you bring two forms of ID, listed on the website. Social Security card is not valid, but voter registration is in addition to your driver's license. And they both have to have your current address (I would assume it's got to be in Allegheny County...)

(Allegheny County)

Easy parking at the Macy's garage or at the Manor garage... both a block from the courthouse.

(Allegheny County)

Yes, it is quite difficult to get a LTCF in Pittsburgh... YOU HAVE TO FIND PARKING!!!

Other than that, it's a piece'o'cake... Just walk in to the office with the proper IDs and paperwork, and you're all set.

The first time I applied for a new license, it too the whole 45 working days allowed before I got my yellow card in the mail. After that, my renewal came in a week's time.

I have never heard of anyone having REAL problems getting a LTCF here.

Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Easy parking at the Macy's garage or at the Manor garage... both a block from the courthouse.
    Are there regular spots available for non lease holders at mid-day and at what cost?

(Allegheny County)

I work a block from that garage (on smithfield) and there are usually some openings but not many at that garage depending on day. However there are smaller (private lots) closer to the courthouse that I parked in last year when I got my LTCF. If neither of those work you can park at the smithfield st garage, or the grand street (greyhound station). That would be about a 6 block walk but that lot never fills.

(Allegheny County)

I had my wife drive. She dropped me off at the door, circled twice, and by the second time, I was out. Took maybe 4 minutes from stepping out of my car to getting back in it.

Also, last time I applied was by email(I let my license expire and had to re-apply) I had my license in hand 4 days after I emailed my application.

It is definitely not difficult.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

I had my wife drive. She dropped me off at the door, circled twice, and by the second time, I was out. Took maybe 4 minutes from stepping out of my car to getting back in it.

Also, last time I applied was by email(I let my license expire and had to re-apply) I had my license in hand 4 days after I emailed my application.

It is definitely not difficult.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast