Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 56 year anniversary

Mar 4 1952, a 2 1/2 yr old 27hand processed into New York city after a 4 day boat ride on the General Miur on which I cried start to end of trip.

My father answered an ad from the US looking for skilled tradesmen to work here. He signed a three year committment to work in this country with the option to return or stay.

I'm still here.

My father, whom I just visited, chose to pick up his whole family and move to the country he had just finished fighting against in WWll.

What that must have taken I can't imagine.

He and my mother still speak with a strong German accent and finally sold the house they lived in for over 50 years to move into an apartment.

I was probably just learning to speak English so have no accent at all.

I went through high school, a year of computer school (although you'd never know it by my lack of PC skills) and went into the work force to earn beer money.

I was going to be drafted and before that happened, i inquired about joining the Air Force to get some more GI bill school benefits.

In this country, you need to be a citizen to join either the Navy or the Air Force but you can be drafted into the Army and at that time, the Marines.

I studied up for my citizenship and passed the test, joined the Air Force and learned how to repair electronic test equipment.

The duty stations I had were in Texas, Colorado , Virginia, South Carolina, Louisiana(TDY). I had to volunteer for VietNam to get out of South Carolina.

Got out of the service in 72, got an Associates degree in Specialized Business and worked a number of small jobs until I heard some labor unions needed people.

I labored for about 6 months and got into the plumbers local #27 in 76 and have been a drain surgeon ever since.

That's 27history in a nutshell.

I'm glad to be here with ya'll(ya'll because I live south of Pittsburgh).

My folks told me our USA anniversary was coming up so thought I'd share.

27readyforretirementhand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

Default Re: 56 year anniversary

That's a helluva thing your folks did. It took alot of courage. Thank you for serving in the military. We're glad you stuck around...
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Blair County)

well i wasnt around back then but i'll say it now welcome to America
    glad you (and your parents) decided to stick around. thank you for your service to the country you chose to adopt as your own.
    I just flew the Millennium Falcon through the hole in your logic 2A6X1

(Bedford County)

Great story 27hand and thanks for sharing!!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Philadelphia County)

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Dauphin County)

happy anniversary to you and your folks !

(Westmoreland County)

Hans, that story speaks to the man you are. You have earned everything you have, including citizenship and it shows. Glad to know you, man.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Northampton County)

My family (1/2) came over on the boat from Germany a little after you. So, I'm 1/2 2nd generation USA. Which my calculator tells me is divide by zero error

And let me tell you something. I am convinced a couple immigrants at my company are better Americans than most. One of them finally made it, the other is still on H1B visa and simply hoping for permanent residency. After 20 years, grade school, high school, and 2 engineering degrees. The former thinks you should have to be in the military to get citizenship "like Starship Troopers." I like him best
    Last edited by ungawa; March 2nd, 2008 at 08:59 PM.

(Northampton County)

Oh, how could I let this slip from a German immigration thread. One of my uncles came over on the boat from Germany with my family as a child. He became an officer in the Air Force, a VietNam war hero, and POW. Most of you have seen him on TV in Hanoi Hilton file footage in TV documentaries.

He then flew over USSR during the Cold War on "secret" missions. After the Cold War was over he still couldn't visit the USSR, which he always wanted to do, because even in this decade he would be arrested or worse I think he ended up a spook at a military consulting firm. John McCain showed up for his burial - not to speak or campaign, this was way before that. My uncle was definitely one of the greatest Americans I have met.

He took most of the family to this huge POW party by Ross Perot - there were thousands there from what I understand. As far as I know, my Grandmother supplies Ross Perot with Lobsters packed fresh from Maine as a gesture of gratitude.
    Last edited by ungawa; March 2nd, 2008 at 09:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Oh, how could I let this slip from a German immigration thread. One of my uncles came over on the boat from Germany with my family as a child. He became an officer in the Air Force, a VietNam war hero, and POW. Most of you have seen him on TV in Hanoi Hilton file footage in TV documentaries.

He then flew over USSR during the Cold War on "secret" missions. After the Cold War was over he still couldn't visit the USSR, which he always wanted to do, because even in this decade he would be arrested or worse I think he ended up a spook at a military consulting firm. John McCain showed up for his burial - not to speak or campaign, this was way before that. My uncle was definitely one of the greatest Americans I have met.

He took most of the family to this huge POW party by Ross Perot - there were thousands there from what I understand. As far as I know, my Grandmother supplies Ross Perot with Lobsters packed fresh from Maine as a gesture of gratitude.

That right there is a cool story. Thanks for sharing that.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast