Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Which is the better defensive load for my 9mm?

Today I planned on ordering some Federal 9BPLE for my M&P 9, it was recommended by a trusted source and had a record of being effective in LEO circles. Cheaper Than Dirt had it for $17.49 for a box of 50, however over the past few weeks they have been sold out. As I wanted to place my order by the end of this week I did some digging for alternatives. I came across the Federal 9BP 115 Grain JHP which has a positive track record, especially for accuracy and reliability. It's the same round as the 9BPLE but it's not an over-pressure load. While on this website I also took note of this Federal 147 Grain JHP, it only cost an extra dollar per box and sports a heavier bullet. The issue I have with this 147 Grain round is my lack of knowledge on such heavy 9mm loads. I know it's a heavier round so it's probably a slower round and that might mean poorer penetration, I really don't know so that's why I am here.

So which would be the more effective defensive load for me? I am also open to other suggestions if they meet my criteria: No more than $18 per box of 50 rounds, reliable and effective. I know the 9BP and 9BPLE are older rounds but I am not going to spend $25 for a 25 round box of the latest stuff, I am not made of money. Here are the links to the ammo I am looking at:

Federal 9BP 115 Grain JHP

Federal 9MS 147 Grain JHP

(Berks County)

Default Re: Which is the better defensive load for my 9mm?

The 147 grain bullet really shouldn't affect penetration. The velocity is about 200 ft/s slower than a 115 grain but it is still faster than .45 acp, it will still kill someone dead.

The 147 will win on penetration but may give some on expansion. The 115 gr bullet used in the 9BP, 9BPLE, and XM9001 even though old school is still well proven.

XM9001

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...ig27&pd=307082
    Last edited by hotpig27; August 12th, 2012 at 02:58 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

230 grains of .45ACP would probably be better. :P

Seriously, though, does it really matter? I think either 9mm load would work fine, as long as you can hit what you're shooting at.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjackd View Post
    The 147 grain bullet really shouldn't affect penetration. The velocity is about 200 ft/s slower than a 115 grain but it is still faster than .45 acp, it will still kill someone dead.
    Thanks, that's good to know. Would you say the heavier, 147 Grain round would be a more effective defensive load?

Quote Originally Posted by hotpig27 View Post
    The 147 will win on penetration but may give some on expansion. The 115 gr bullet used in the 9BP, 9BPLE, and XM9001 even though old school is still well proven.

XM9001

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...ig27&pd=307082
    I appreciate the link, I think I am going to order. The price is so much lower I can afford another box. Thanks again.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; August 12th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    230 grains of .45ACP would probably be better. :P

Seriously, though, does it really matter? I think either 9mm load would work fine, as long as you can hit what you're shooting at.
    I read good things about the 115 grain load but if the 147 grain load is more effective I would buy it since the price is about the same. I concur with your 45 statement, a M1911 and a M&P 45 will find it's way into my collection sometime in the future.

(Montgomery County)

I carry Speer Gold dot 124gr +P and Federal Hydrashok 147gr. I think those are the 2 best defensive 9mm loads in my opinion.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    I carry Speer Gold dot 124gr +P and Federal Hydrashok 147gr. I think those are the 2 best defensive 9mm loads in my opinion.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Today I planned on ordering some Federal 9BPLE for my M&P 9, it was recommended by a trusted source and had a record of being effective in LEO circles. Cheaper Than Dirt had it for $17.49 for a box of 50, however over the past few weeks they have been sold out. As I wanted to place my order by the end of this week I did some digging for alternatives. I came across the Federal 9BP 115 Grain JHP which has a positive track record, especially for accuracy and reliability. It's the same round as the 9BPLE but it's not an over-pressure load. While on this website I also took note of this Federal 147 Grain JHP, it only cost an extra dollar per box and sports a heavier bullet. The issue I have with this 147 Grain round is my lack of knowledge on such heavy 9mm loads. I know it's a heavier round so it's probably a slower round and that might mean poorer penetration, I really don't know so that's why I am here.

So which would be the more effective defensive load for me? I am also open to other suggestions if they meet my criteria: No more than $18 per box of 50 rounds, reliable and effective. I know the 9BP and 9BPLE are older rounds but I am not going to spend $25 for a 25 round box of the latest stuff, I am not made of money. Here are the links to the ammo I am looking at:

Federal 9BP 115 Grain JHP

Federal 9MS 147 Grain JHP

Buy some of both. Which ever you can manage recoil with better pick that one. Buy more of it and buy more "practice" ammunition so that you can become accustomed to it.

There is probably a marginal difference in terminal performance. There may be a lot greater difference in recoil. So pick the one that you can manage better and train with it. Train some more.

(Lehigh County)

My preferred choice of carry ammo is Federal HST 124gr +P.
    IMO, just right in the middle between 115 and 147 when it comes to speed, expansion, and weight for stopping power.
    +P for compensate for the shorter barrel.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast