Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Which is the better defensive load for my 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I just shredded an MT/R Kevlar on my truck and they are about done as is, so I feel your pain.

Let me know when you are looking into it. They offer both Maximum Expansion and Controlled Fracturing in 9mm. Both are the nastiest 9mm I've seen to date.
    Thanks for understanding, I shredded my tires in 9 months and 14k miles though.

As for these ammunitions types even though I am not ready to purchase I would like to hear more about these rounds if you're up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Thanks for understanding, I shredded my tires in 14k miles though.

As for these ammunition types even though I am not ready to purchase I would like to hear more about these rounds if you're up to it.
    Sure thing.

To give a little rundown of Lehigh Defense, they make allot of ammunition for for quite a few different people, some of who's headquarters are located at McDill AFB in Tampa Florida. They also have made the bullets for Cheyenne Tactical as seen here;

Most of the match grade ammunition still holds world records for distance/accuracy.

They made the bullets for the JDJ 950.

From left to right; 950 JDJ, 50BMG, 338LM, 45ACP.

Other than making ammunition, Lehigh Defense makes various parts for some of the more respected companies who make ARs and parts. They also make suppressors both for themselves and other companies as well.

As far as the ammo goes, though the price is a little higher, I an honestly say you do get what you pay for. As I was saying before, they are cut out of round stock, not cast(lead safe). There are three types of pistol ammunition available. Maximum Expansion, Controlled Fracturing and Multiple Projectile. Maximum Expansion and Controlled fracturing are also available in 223, 300 AAC-Blackout/Whisper, 243 and a few other popular cartridges.

Maximum Expansion(ME) is cut to do just what it says, expand. When they do expand, you cannot bend the petals with your fingers (or even your teeth for that matter, which I also do not recommend or condone). The petals rarely break off, either. As you can see, they look like little grappling hooks. This was in 300 AAC-Blackout/Whisper. It was traveling at 1040fps.

Controlled Fracturing(CF) is cut to fracture. The petals and the main body break apart and wreak havoc on the intended target. This is a 68gr 9mm round traveling at 68fps

Multiple Projectile(MP) rounds are available in 45acp, 44 Special, 44 Magnum and a few others that I can't think of. They are pretty neat. Again, cut from round stock. 3 projectiles in the 45acp, more in the longer cased offerings. They are machined to fit into each other and in the case. They spread about 3" at 15 feet. I haven't shot them further.
    This is a 45acp MP round;

Granted, the ammo does cost more, but not that much more. I shoot cast lead for fun, then this stuff stays in my SD/HD guns. I shot some to see how it works and how it handles.

At very least, you'd be supporting a company that is owned and operated by local (local as in PA) firearm enthusiasts and veterans.

If you have any more questions, just ask. I'll fill you in as best I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Pike County)

Thanks Animal, that was an excellent explanation on this companies products. All my questions have been answered.

Edit: I had a question about that 68 Grain 9mm round you mentioned, are you sure it was traveling at just 68 FPS? Typo?
    Last edited by LifeInPa; September 10th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Lehigh's pre fragmented ammo is very similar to the 5.7mm Elite T6 PFP round, except that the T6 doesn't reliably fragment at five seven pistol velocities (yet, they're still improving the design).

What the T6 does do is punch through 2 1/2 level IIIA vest panels. In gel it tumbles end over end and penetrates very deep, over 13" even after defeating a IIIA vest.

(Pike County)

^^Fascinating.

With all the good 9mm ammo out there it's hard to pick 'the best'. After much research and buying ammo.....i decided to do what some do which is go with a lighter weight for summer use...when less clothing usually worn and a heavier weight in the fall /winter.

I settled on 115gr for summer, 147 Gold Dot or Golden SAber for winter and 135gr Critical Duty when i just can't make up my mind.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunluv View Post
    With all the good 9mm ammo out there it's hard to pick 'the best'. After much research and buying ammo.....i decided to do what some do which is go with a lighter weight for summer use...when less clothing usually worn and a heavier weight in the fall /winter.

I settled on 115gr for summer, 147 Gold Dot or Golden SAber for winter and 135gr Critical Duty when i just can't make up my mind.
    I concur, with all the options available I don't really know of many rounds that are considered bad for defense. That's why it was so hard to decide on a load for my pistol.

Some are much better than others.

Critical defense, for instance, is IMO an example of a mediocre standard pressure current design. They don't even test it against intermediate barriers, just denim and bare gel. I am convinced that it sells well because it has a cool sounding name.

Critical duty is the new stuff they came out with to answer these concerns.

They also package this crap in the 20rd super price inflated consumer packaging. So not only is Critical Defense mediocre against barriers, it's also over priced.

HST, Win SXT, Speer Gold Dot, Barnes TAC XP...those are the 4 best current designs IMO, off the top of my head.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Some are much better than others.

Critical defense, for instance, is IMO an example of a mediocre standard pressure current design. They don't even test it against intermediate barriers, just denim and bare gel. I am convinced that it sells well because it has a cool sounding name.

Critical duty is the new stuff they came out with to answer these concerns.

They also package this crap in the 20rd super price inflated consumer packaging. So not only is Critical Defense mediocre against barriers, it's also over priced.

HST, Win SXT, Speer Gold Dot, Barnes TAC XP...those are the 4 best current designs IMO, off the top of my head.
    Well out of all the companies that make defensive loads how many do you feel really make mediocre loads? Maybe 10%? I am sure 3-4 shots of something mediocre to the chest will neutralize most threats. However I will confess that my statement is anecdotal and I submit you have more experience in this area.

The thing we hear a lot is "I wanna see someone take (insert number of rounds your gun holds) shots of this"....well, what if you have time for ONE shot?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast