Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: revolver danger

(Bucks County)

Default revolver danger

anyone hear about this? If not, guy had his thumb way too close to the side of the cylinder when he fired and the escaping gases blew his finger up. The revolver was the 460. Please remember high pressure along side of cylinder.

to see pic go to www.rx7club.com and search " guy blew off thumb or finger"

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: revolver danger

Yeah, there was a whole thread about this a while back. The damage was pretty gnarly!

The original post and picture can be found at http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?...wtopic&p=43237

Warning graphic pic of a hand...

One of the parts of a revolver is actually a non part, called the flash or the gap, between the forcing cone and the cylinder... Yeah the pressures coming out can be pretty high, even in smaller calibers.
    Last edited by JayBell; March 2nd, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Centre County)

So this yahoo had finger too close to side of cylinder where expanding gas would be shooting out explosively, which we all know it does(well hope so anyway), shooting off man's caliber(fired off a Cor-Bon DPX .460), blows off his finger, because he morethen likely had that stupid pointing thumb at target grip, as used on autos, and somehow states...

I can't imagine anything other than a gun or ammo failure
    ?

Gun did exactly what it designed to do. He just didn't have proper grip on it..

I mean I'm sorry that he had to learn the lessen in hard way, but what a tool...
    Last edited by Mity2; March 2nd, 2008 at 06:07 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Exactly waht is the proper grip on a revolver? I have more experience with autos and rifles , but very little with revolvers!

Thanks forany info or point me to info.

Thanks Ed

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by er2006 View Post
    Exactly waht is the proper grip on a revolver? I have more experience with autos and rifles , but very little with revolvers!

Thanks forany info or point me to info.

Thanks Ed

Keep both hands on the grip and you will be fine. Don't cup the cylinder or rest the barrel/frame in the web of your hand.

Stick to weaver or isoceles or even the one hand grips. If your palm is covering the cylinder....well, you'll know it fast !
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(York County)

I saw those pics on another gun forum...pretty grim!

Several years ago, I was shooting at a rural range with a coworker. He was popping out .44 Magnum rounds out of a Ruger and I was standing 6-10 feet to his left. I thought I'd gotten stung by a bee...but it turned out to be gasses escaping from the cylinder of his Ruger.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    So this yahoo had finger too close to side of cylinder where expanding gas would be shooting out explosively, which we all know it does(well hope so anyway), shooting off man's caliber(fired off a Cor-Bon DPX .460), blows off his finger, because he morethen likely had that stupid pointing thumb at target grip, as used on autos, and somehow states...

Gun did exactly what it designed to do. He just didn't have proper grip on it..

I mean I'm sorry that he had to learn the lessen in hard way, but what a tool...
    Unless he's a freak of nature...there's really no way he could get his thumbs in front of the cylinders with a proper "IPSC style" thumbs-forward grip. The OAL of the .460 is close to 3" (or something like that). I have some unusually long fingers/ thumbs...and I couldn't get my thumbs CLOSE to the front of the cylinders with an IPSC grip. I shot one the other day that way, with no problems....other than the typical sore hand from shooting that damn thing!

The guy in question was probably using the barrel as a forearm....I've watched idiots use the dustcover on a semi auto as a forearm, too....

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Unless he's a freak of nature...there's really no way he could get his thumbs in front of the cylinders with a proper "IPSC style" thumbs-forward grip. The OAL of the .460 is close to 3" (or something like that). I have some unusually long fingers/ thumbs...and I couldn't get my thumbs CLOSE to the front of the cylinders with an IPSC grip. I shot one the other day that way, with no problems....other than the typical sore hand from shooting that damn thing!

The guy in question was probably using the barrel as a forearm....I've watched idiots use the dustcover on a semi auto as a forearm, too....
    According to the link Frenchy posted, this is how he was holding the revolver.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    According to the link Frenchy posted, this is how he was holding the revolver.

Yup, not an "IPSC" grip....the fingers on the support hand should be beneath the trigger guard, not over it. Were the user to have done this, with the heels of his palms driven together...his support hand would be MUCH further back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast