Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New to shooting with optics. Need help!

I purchased what I thought to be a halfway decent scope for the budget that I had when I was setting up my rifle. Picked up a UTG-Leapers 1.5-6x44mm scope with MilDot reticle.

I have never shot with a scope before, so I did a lot of reading and watched some YouTube videos to get the basics down on how to zero it. Went to the range by me and was able to get nice tight groups at 25 yards because that is the longest distance that I can shoot at in an indoor range.

The one time that I did use the scope was at a practical rifle match recently and was just testing it out to see what it was like. Problem I found right off the bat was that the quick release wasn't tight enough and the thing bounced around like crazy after being shot a few times. I corrected that and now have to re-zero again because I am sure that has changed.

As I mentioned earlier, I have never shot any distances that required a scope before and have absolutely no idea how to use the thing. The instruction manual lacks any kind of useful information that would be helpful to know what the markings are on the adjustment knobs or how to use the MilDot reticle to shoot anything closer or farther than what you zero the rifle. Consequently, I have a ton of questions that I need answers to that I haven't been able to find on my own on the internet.

Basically, I need some sort of reference material that takes someone from the very very basics of sighting in a scope and what all the numbers mean on the dials and how to use them. I read through the sticky on MilDots at the top of the Optics section, but I still have some questions that are more elementary than what that writeup gets into.

Anyone have a good source like Rifle Scopes for Dummies or anything along the basic elementary level?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: New to shooting with optics. Need help!

First make sure your mount is tight, as you found out, loose mounts are bad news.

Using sandbags or a rest or some other method, get the rifle as steady as possible and fire a 3 shot group using the same aiming point each time.

Find the center of the group and measure how far off you are from your aiming point.

Now you need to know the adjustment. Most scopes have a marking under the adjustment caps that say 1/4 in @ 100 yds (or something similar). That means each click of the dial will move the point of impact 1/4 inch. 4 clicks gets you 1 inch.

Let's say your 3 shot group was 4 inches high and 2 inches to the left of where you aimed. You need to turn the elevation dial (on top of the scope) 16 clicks in the down direction. You also need to go 8 clicks right. That should put you dead on your aiming point.

Shoot another 3 as the clicks may not be exactly what they say they are. Adjust if necessary.

Some scopes don't 'click', they have witness marks. It works the same way, just a bit harder to dial in. And if you are shooting at 50 yds, your adjustment is only half of the value given, you would need 32 clicks if you were 4 inches high at 50 yds.

Can't help you with the mildot stuff, I like my reticles simple and clean.

I don't know what your intended targets are. For big game hunting I sight in 3 inches high at 100, with my 270 and similar cartridges, I can hold center of chest to 300 yds and not worry about high or low, I'll hit the deer.

Groundhogs I usually set for 2 inches high at 100, makes me good to 250 or so.

Dale

(Bucks County)

Demigod site has pretty good articles on rifle shooting.
    If you go through his list of articles, there is 3 part series on Long Range Practicle Shooting, including one on Optics:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/pract...ooting-optics/

(Monroe County)

You don't mention the rifle or mount used.

There is no "free" lunch when it comes to scopes and mounts.

(Tioga County)

I found a quick way to get close when sighting in a new scope on a bolt action rifle -

I set my rifle on a bipod, removed the bolt, eyeballed through the bore at a distant target. In my case, an electric meter about 50 yards away. I then adjusted the scope to align with the what I saw through the bore.

When I got to the range I just need a few clicks to fine tune.

Two shot system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4
    MikeP