Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Question about Reading

Thanks for all the good wishes!

The reason I went to school is so I can enjoy the AC. But I've spent many years in the heat, including roofs and fields.

If you saw a guy with a cane trying to keep up with Bill, that was me. I do remember looking into one of the booths in special production while a guy was tacking down a body.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by medicjz View Post
    When you get the chance, visit Screpesi's Sandwich Shop at Lancaster Ave and Grace St. They have great Ham and cheese and Italians. It's only a few blocks from RBW.
    Screpesi's (500 Lancaster Ave) makes a great sandwich. Also Chapman's deli (1110 Lancaster Ave) will take good care of you. The Marvel (4 & Penn) has great breakfast, get a mini-mess. If you like wings, go to Beckett's Rib joint (300 blk Walnut St), Just don't ask for ribs because John never has them. Not too much serious crime where you will be working. A couple of whack jobs live in the projects, but they shouldn't bother you. Outside of the Oakbrook projects, the 18th Ward is pretty much mello.

My step son used to work in Reading but lived out on Leesport Road(ex now has the house). I always felt same visiting out there but really did not go into the city much. Now he is in Wernersville but I have not been there yet.

I normally fly into Philadelphia and meet him in Cape May.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RFD298 View Post
    The Marvel (4 & Penn) has great breakfast, get a mini-mess.
    +1 fantastic!

(Berks County)

Don't forget the DogHouse on Lancaster Ave !!

And I also agree. The city is a craphole. South of the river isnt too bad. There's minor crime everywhere. Even out in Shillington and Mohnton, but 9x/10, it's city trash kids coming out to the burbs to cause the problems. New cars to steal, better stuff to steal from inside the car, etc...
    But in short, I have no fear of driving thru the city at any time of day. Of course, during daylight there's alot of business people out n about and the hoodrats lay low. At night, it's like cockroaches everywhere. I often drive from Mt Penn to Shillington at 8pm, via the city.... Mineral Spring to Chestnut to S. 4th to bingaman bridge. The rats are everywhere, mostly hanging on their porches and trying to cross the street in front of you, and double-parked in the lane. But I have a gun on my leg and I yield to no pedestrian that isn't in a crosswalk. They walk tough, but when you punch the gas and head their way, they scatter quickly and mouth off as you laugh at them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Don't forget the DogHouse on Lancaster Ave !!

And I also agree. The city is a craphole. South of the river isnt too bad. There's minor crime everywhere. Even out in Shillington and Mohnton, but 9x/10, it's city trash kids coming out to the burbs to cause the problems. New cars to steal, better stuff to steal from inside the car, etc...
    But in short, I have no fear of driving thru the city at any time of day. Of course, during daylight there's alot of business people out n about and the hoodrats lay low. At night, it's like cockroaches everywhere. I often drive from Mt Penn to Shillington at 8pm, via the city.... Mineral Spring to Chestnut to S. 4th to bingaman bridge. The rats are everywhere, mostly hanging on their porches and trying to cross the street in front of you, and double-parked in the lane. But I have a gun on my leg and I yield to no pedestrian that isn't in a crosswalk. They walk tough, but when you punch the gas and head their way, they scatter quickly and mouth off as you laugh at them.

I just started to drive through the city about 5 days a week and it is unbelievable to me how many people double park at all times and how many people have no idea what a crosswalk is or when/how to cross a street. I almost hit some "person" the other day and he glared at me like I did something wrong.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    I just started to drive through the city about 5 days a week and it is unbelievable to me how many people double park at all times and how many people have no idea what a crosswalk is or when/how to cross a street. I almost hit some "person" the other day and he glared at me like I did something wrong.
    Let me guess, "just started to drive thru the city" means you are as inconvenienced as me by the construction on 422, 176, and the horrible timing of the 724 closure? Now we have to cut thru the slums to get to work.
    But the double parking and just flat out stopping in traffic to BS with someone is getting nuts. Only way to deal with it is to flip your defensive driving switch over to aggressive driving and try to scare the crap out of the 'pedestrians', AKA roaches wandering aimlessly in the street.

(Dauphin County)

Hancock blvd is in Kenhorst, not the city. Minorities, yes, but not the crap like goes on in the city. It's easy for you to get to and from work without having to cross the river into Reading.

And don't forget to try V&S on Lancaster Ave. Also a good sandwich shop.

Congrats on the job. Nice to know there's jobs out there.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Let me guess, "just started to drive thru the city" means you are as inconvenienced as me by the construction on 422, 176, and the horrible timing of the 724 closure? Now we have to cut thru the slums to get to work.
    But the double parking and just flat out stopping in traffic to BS with someone is getting nuts. Only way to deal with it is to flip your defensive driving switch over to aggressive driving and try to scare the crap out of the 'pedestrians', AKA roaches wandering aimlessly in the street.
    No, I just got a jobon the other side of Reading. I still have to drive through 3 different construction areas in Reading though. I didn't know there were closures on 422 & 724. I will not try your "aggresive driving" technique but I will maintain my "right of way" driving.

Reading could be such a beautifl city too. They have some great architecture.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    Hancock blvd is in Kenhorst, not the city. Minorities, yes, but not the crap like goes on in the city. It's easy for you to get to and from work without having to cross the river into Reading.

And don't forget to try V&S on Lancaster Ave. Also a good sandwich shop.

Congrats on the job. Nice to know there's jobs out there.
    Better check your map there buddy. The city is on both sides the river and Hancock Blvd is very much in the city - . In fact, after you cross the river and head up Lancaster Ave, it's still the City of Reading (on the north side of Lancaster ave) until you get to Dunkin Donuts.

http://goo.gl/maps/XvhBs

Reading Body works is not located in Kenhorst, it's most certainly one of the few sizable businesses left in the City of Reading.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast