Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Tell me about YOUR favorite genre of pistol

Hi, I was wondering about what forum members enjoy as their favorite genre, or sub-class of pistol. I am sure that like me, most members are interested in a broad-spectrum of pistol from high capacity auto's to revolvers, 1911's, poly guns, etc. However, what is the one type of handgun that really floats your boat?

For me, I am drawn to "pocket 9's". I love the great number of choces we now have in the category, and am fond of a number of them. Even more specifically, I love metal framed pocket 9's the most. I have nothing against the poly framed variants, and like a number of them, but I really like the feel of a small metal gun in my hand.

Right now in the pocket 9 category I have a Rohrbaugh R9s, a Kimber Solo STS and a Sig P938 Extreme. All 3 of these pistols have been flawless for me at the range and I really enjoy each of them. In fact, I have a very hard time picking a favorite between these 3. It almost seems that whichever one I am holding is my favorite at the time.

So what are your thoughts? I am interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
    Scott

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Tell me about YOUR favorite genre of pistol

It's really kinda sad and pathetic. As a life long 1911 owner, I mean every pistol I had was a1911. Full size, compact,commander, my favorite all time Delta Elite. Now at the age of 44 I switch gears and I'm all Glock all the time. G19, G20, G34 . I want a bunch of them. I want multiples of the same model. A guy that never gave them a second glance. I love the no nonsense, no frills, this is a tool factor.

1911 is still awesome but more of display pieces now. Although of I find an original DE I would put it in the carry rotation.

(Northampton County)

For me it's all about the medium to large frame revolvers specifically in .38 spl or .357 mag and .45 auto.

I like the lightness of the new scandium and other alloy frames but it doesn't beat the feel of a nicely balanced all steel frame revolver. I really like .357 because of the ability to switch between the more economical 38's and the hard hitting 357. Just in the past two months I was finally able to pick up a .45 revolver and it is quickly becoming my new favorite.

My overall collection varies quite a bit both on the handgun and long gun side but right now in this category I have a S&W model 19-3 .357 mag with a 6" bbl, nickel plated (absolute joy to shoot), Ruger Police Service Six .357 mag with a 4" bbl with beautiful deep blueing, and my most recent addition is a S&W model 625 JM in .45 auto with a 3" BBL (quickly climbing the ladder to my #1 revolver).

In the beginning of the summer I sold a S&W model 10 to a good friend of mine. It was an amazing shooter but right now things are tight and I needed an "open slot" to get the 625 so I couldn't justify keeping it when I had the Ruger which has the exact same set up but is in 357.
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

(Delaware County)

Whatever I can afford at the time. I have only one gun that I would never get rid of That is my model 10-8 with a 4" heavy barrel. I don't really have a favorite typr of gun. My want's are changing all the time. As long as I have at least one reliable gun in my house the rest can be anything at any given time.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lebanon County)

united states martial sidearms.
    don't care if it's a colt .38 from the late 1800s or a beretta m9 from yesterday.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Philadelphia County)

Mitch, I hear what you are saying. Not exactly the same thnig as your situation, but I used to be very much into 1911's but found that I rarely every carried them in favor of something much easier to conceal and wound up moving away from them. Sold one to get my R9s, sold one to get my Solo, etc.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    It's really kinda sad and pathetic. As a life long 1911 owner, I mean every pistol I had was a1911. Full size, compact,commander, my favorite all time Delta Elite. Now at the age of 44 I switch gears and I'm all Glock all the time. G19, G20, G34 . I want a bunch of them. I want multiples of the same model. A guy that never gave them a second glance. I love the no nonsense, no frills, this is a tool factor.

1911 is still awesome but more of display pieces now. Although of I find an original DE I would put it in the carry rotation.
    Opposite for me. I have owned a Glock for close to 20 years and just put a Ruger SR1911 on lay-away. I surely don't intend to get rid of the Glock though.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Blair County)

1911s

Colt and Les Baer are my favorites. I own 4 Colts, (2 Blued newer S70s[2011 and 2012] 1 Engraved 1978 S70 and a 1991), 1 rock solid, customized SS Springfield Armory Milspec and a Kimber Pro Carry II. Someday I WILL own a Les Baer SRP. It'll probably be my retirement gift to myself if we are still alowed to purchase handguns in this country 15 years from now?! Till then, I am going to start collecting Colts. I would like to own one Colt M1911 for each decade since they produced them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Hi, I was wondering about what forum members enjoy as their favorite genre, or sub-class of pistol. I am sure that like me, most members are interested in a broad-spectrum of pistol from high capacity auto's to revolvers, 1911's, poly guns, etc. However, what is the one type of handgun that really floats your boat?

For me, I am drawn to "pocket 9's". I love the great number of choces we now have in the category, and am fond of a number of them. Even more specifically, I love metal framed pocket 9's the most. I have nothing against the poly framed variants, and like a number of them, but I really like the feel of a small metal gun in my hand.

Right now in the pocket 9 category I have a Rohrbaugh R9s, a Kimber Solo STS and a Sig P938 Extreme. All 3 of these pistols have been flawless for me at the range and I really enjoy each of them. In fact, I have a very hard time picking a favorite between these 3. It almost seems that whichever one I am holding is my favorite at the time.

So what are your thoughts? I am interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
    Scott
    I am jealous of the Rorhbaugh...been wanting one for a long time. I have also been checking out the Boberg and The Doubletap from Heizer Defense. What are your thoughts on these 2? Even though the DT is .45 acp.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the replies everyone! What I find interesting is that even this early in this thread, the replies are very varied.

Quote Originally Posted by cdeily View Post
    For me it's all about the medium to large frame revolvers specifically in .38 spl or .357 mag and .45 auto.
    I had a revolver phase myself. Of course for me it was smaller, concealable revolvers. I rotated between an LCR and a S&W 360 for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    My want's are changing all the time. As long as I have at least one reliable gun in my house the rest can be anything at any given time.
    I agree with that, my interests have shifted a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    united states martial sidearms.
    don't care if it's a colt .38 from the late 1800s or a beretta m9 from yesterday.
    Tend to feel the same here. All of my guns are made in the U.S.A.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast