Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default How to legally import a handgun from Russia

Hi everyone, I just joined, and have a question.

I am in PA and would like to properly / legally import a specific gun from Russia. The main driver isn't the weapon's performance etc., but authenticity and use in photography. The gun in question is this Makarov:

http://baikalinc.ru/res_ru/0_hfile_400_1.jpg

Baikal as an option, will make some of its weapons embellished with various factory-designed or custom designs, and I had a series of Russian-themed images in mind featuring an over-the-top fancy version of a staple Soviet weapon.

So what do I do - do I fill out any forms, register the sale in any way, have to use an intermediary or what?

Many thanks

Sasha

(Pike County)

Default Re: How to legally import a handgun from Russia

Here's a link to the ATF instructions:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/i...ts-of-war.html

Short version - get an FFL. Register as an importer and get approval for the specific firearm. Cannot be from a proscribed list of originating countries. Cannot be on a proscribed list of firearms. Must meet all criteria. Etc. and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SashaK View Post
    Hi everyone, I just joined, and have a question.

I am in PA and would like to properly / legally import a specific gun from Russia. The main driver isn't the weapon's performance etc., but authenticity and use in photography. The gun in question is this Makarov:

http://baikalinc.ru/res_ru/0_hfile_400_1.jpg

Baikal as an option, will make some of its weapons embellished with various factory-designed or custom designs, and I had a series of Russian-themed images in mind featuring an over-the-top fancy version of a staple Soviet weapon.

So what do I do - do I fill out any forms, register the sale in any way, have to use an intermediary or what?

Many thanks

Sasha

(Montgomery County)

It would be much easier and probably cheaper to just customize a makarov to look like that than to jump through all the hoops getting your FFL as an importer, dealing with records keeping, etc.

I'd try and get quotes on a custom Makarov. Then I'd talk with a few companies who already import from Russia, and try and compare prices.

(York County)

best bet would be finding an existing FFL that has importation experience. no importation liscense is required for occasional importation. even a type 3 "collector FFL" can do this. the unique artistic nature of the firearms should qualify it for importation. for that matter, makarovs have already been imported without curio and relic certification, so "factoring criteria" form 4590 should not be an issue. IIRC the mak has a safety, and is thick enuf to be importable.

the only block i see would be the "voluntary restraining agreement" under 27CFR447.52, which affects specific products from former soviet countries. a letter to ATF explaining your intent would answer this question...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...--complete.pdf

(Jefferson County)

One thing to consider if it is imported - the licensed importing FFL will likely have to engrave his/her info on the gun. ...which will really hose such a nice piece.

I don't know if the ATF will allow an exemption to a curio though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Why not buy one here and send it out to have work done the way you want?