Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    York City...where e-mails belong to Lt. Fells., Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default York City Police Department to Deploy Automatic License Plate Scanners

Here's a letter to the editor I wrote on the subject of license plate scanners and the privacy implications of the devices. York City police chief Wes Kahley has said scanners will be deployed in York within the next month.

If fielded without limits, the devices become de facto monitoring tools used to engage in wholesale surveillance.

http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_212411...ocent-citizens

BACKGROUND: http://yorklp.org/helfrich-wants-data-policy
    Last edited by Shomari; August 7th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    http://abetteryork.com Candidate for York City Council 2013

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: York City Police Department to Deploy Automatic License Plate Scanners

That was a good letter. In my eyes the readers should only have two purposes.... the discovery of stolen vehicles and the discovery of registration violations and that's it....nothing more.

Default Re: York City Police Department to Deploy Automatic License Plate Scanners

In my eyes they should not exist.

But I know that ANY technology that exists will eventually be deployed, "to protect us".

Besides, think of the money to be made building, installing, operating, and taxing the new infrastructure. Jobs for constituents, tax proceeds for the states.

I salute the growing efficiency of the Fatherland.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    Here's a letter to the editor I wrote on the subject of license plate scanners and the privacy implications of the devices. York City police chief Wes Kahley has said scanners will be deployed in York within the next month.

If fielded without limits, the devices become de facto monitoring tools used to engage in wholesale surveillance.

http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_212411...ocent-citizens

BACKGROUND: http://yorklp.org/helfrich-wants-data-policy
    I've seen a live demo of the PIPS system. It's pretty easy to fool the system into not recognizing a plate. Once you understand how the system works, what it does, you'll see that you can get a flexible magnet and some letter stickers from and arts and crafts store. This will confuse the system.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by kommando View Post
    I've seen a live demo of the PIPS system. It's pretty easy to fool the system into not recognizing a plate. Once you understand how the system works, what it does, you'll see that you can get a flexible magnet and some letter stickers from and arts and crafts store. This will confuse the system.
    Sounds like you're suggesting to temporarily alter or obscure parts of the plate? I'm pretty sure there's a law against that in PA.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

PSP has had them in use for a couple years now. Within the past year I've seen a few Philly PD cars with them and the Phila. Parking Authority has been using them for a long time as well.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Sounds like you're suggesting to temporarily alter or obscure parts of the plate? I'm pretty sure there's a law against that in PA.
    75 PA CS § 1332. Display of registration plate.

(a) General rule.--Every registration plate shall, at all times, be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned or on which its use is authorized in accordance with regulations promulgated by the department.

(b) Obscuring plate.--It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which:

(1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable distance;

(2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red light enforcement system in place pursuant to section 3116 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in first class cities) or 3117 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in certain municipalities); or

(3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner.
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

New York has had them for years, I have seen them driving along streets checking for stolen cars and violations, nothing new.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    75 PA CS § 1332. Display of registration plate.
    On that line of thinking, does anyone know why there are so many PRNJ plates that look like they are blurry or running?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It might count as a violation of this: 75 Pa.C.S.A. § 1332

ETA: Well looks like I typed that a bit slow, see above.
    Last edited by IronSight; August 7th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast