Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Center Valley Promenade Shops Don't allow guns now, but is their policy legal?

I was at the Promenade Shops in Center Valley the other day and came across a nice big new "Code of Conduct" sign. Item #13 on the code of conduct states (and I'm quoting but my phone missed a couple of the words in a pic so may be slightly off)

"Any weapons such as guns, knives, swords, laser pointers and any other items that can [cause harm to a] customer will be confiscated and given to the proper authorities"

I understand that it is private property and that they are within their rights to say no firearms, but are they legally able to confiscate my firearm? I don't plan on going there anymore because I don't like to support anti-gun supporters, it just doesn't seem legal to me though that they could confiscate a firearm.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Center Valley Promenade Shops Don't allow guns now, but is their policy legal?

As far as I am aware, no they can not. It is private property and they can ask you to leave but I do not believe there is any legal means for them to relieve you of your property. That would be theft. I'm sure more will chime in shortly.

Rick

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Center Valley Promenade Shops Don't allow guns now, but is their policy legal?

If it is private property they can demand that you leave. They can put a condition like having you do hand stands, jump through rings of fire, or even hand over the gun if YOU want to stay. They cannot just take it from you.

If you want to stay you must abide by their rules. You have the choice to leave at any time if you dont like the condition.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I don't see how they can steal your gun. I know I wouldn't give up my firearm to some store employee. I would just leave and take my business elsewhere. With that said, I have never seen the sign the op is referring to.
    Last edited by JasonK007; August 12th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Mercer County)

Sure, they can take it.... But they better have a gun and be a faster draw.

(Mercer County)

(Mercer County)

I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to send them an email... It read:

To whomever it may concern,

As a long time patron of your shops, I am displeased to inform you that I will no longer be spending my money in your establishment. With the enactment of #13 in your Code of Conduct, I, as a law biding and licensed gun owner and carrier, do not feel safe at your establishment.*

As soon as the criminals of this world start following the rules of such signs or you remove this from your code of conduct, I will return.

Thank you,
    Jason Lambert
    Safe gun owner for 28 years.

(Northampton County)

Well, in that case they should stop serving hot food at the shops... someone may burn (cause harm to) their mouth on it. And ice cream... you can get brain freeze. Oh, and we can't forget the ever-so-terrifying spork. Oh yeah, and...

I am curious, though, who they consider a "proper authority" to turn over a legally possessed and carried firearm or knife is.

As others have said, they can prohibit the carrying of firearms on their property, but they cannot confiscate your firearm simply because you are carrying on their property.
    Last edited by rmagill; August 6th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.

(Northampton County)

And the people that shop there have no idea that their odds of getting robbed or worse just went up.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPACC View Post
    I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to send them an email... It read:
    Can you post the address? I'll send an e-mail also..... Where is this place located, so I know to avoid it?
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast