Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default 1911 parts durability?

My dad gave me his Colt MkIV series 70 1911 a while back. I dont shoot it that often but would like to. Before I got it, he put thousands of rounds through it. I noticed the main spring is a little weaker than other colts I have felt, meaning that I can rack the slide much easier. How long do springs and a barrel last on a 1911?
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 parts durability?

I doubt you'll shoot out a handgun barrel in your lifetime.

Mainsprings on the otherhand should be changed every 5000 rounds or so. Sounds like you're due for a replacement.

(Allegheny County)

I doubt you'll shoot out a handgun barrel in your lifetime.

Mainsprings on the otherhand should be changed every 5000 rounds or so. Sounds like you're due for a replacement.

(Lancaster County)

main spring or recoil spring? a main spring should last a lot longer than 5k rounds, recoil spring however on a 1911 gvmt i would say 5k is about the most id go before changing it. the shorter they get the more often they need replaced in general. i have heard of them going for well over 15,000 but theyre cheap and easy to do so i change more frequently.

(Jefferson County)

FYI- the main spring is in the grip. The recoil spring is the one that determines most of the feedback on racking a slide.

They do wear out, some sooner than others. You could also have an original spec 13lb spring, where as most builders today use 15lb to 18lb springs. A worn 13lb spring will be super easy to rack.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    My dad gave me his Colt MkIV series 70 1911 a while back. I dont shoot it that often but would like to. Before I got it, he put thousands of rounds through it. I noticed the main spring is a little weaker than other colts I have felt, meaning that I can rack the slide much easier. How long do springs and a barrel last on a 1911?
    If you're comparing an older 1911 to a newer 1911, I notice several newer guns including modern 1911s use heavier springs than they used to.

I've been told by some of the firearms manufacturer techs that they use heavier springs now because it cycles +P loads better.

If you plan to shoot heavy loads out of it, I'd change the recoil spring. If it's not light enough to make you worry, I would leave it like it is.

(Chester County)

Yes I meant the recoil spring. The plunger spring also could use replacement. I think Im going to go with Wolff springs. They get some good reviews on Midway. Anyone else have experience with them? I know theyre local to SEPA

(Chester County)

If your dad shoots a lot and used low power reloads rather then factory loads he may have intentionally installed a lower rated spring. You might want to ask him if that is the case. If you want to continue using lower power ammo you may want to leave it (if it ain't broke...) but if you want factory loads or SD loads you should probably put a fresh factory spring in.

(Chester County)

No hes doesnt reload. I think the spring is just worn. The gun is a little over 30 years old so I figure a new spring cant hurt. And worst case scenario if the gun doesnt like it, I'll always have the old one

(Mercer County)

I replaced both in my Kimber ultra Covert 2 after only 1000 rounds or so. It may not have needed both but I had to take it apart anyway to replace the one so why not both. They are dirt cheap so no big deal. It's not like you have to sell the farm for a new set of springs. It also cycles much nicer than it did. I think the entire replacement took about 10 min. Piece of cake.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast