Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Caliber advise for new rifle...

I am considering purchasing a new Savage rifle. I have narrowed it down to one of three models, 10 FCP HS Precision, 10 FCP-K or 10 Precision Carbine. My final decision will depend on the caliber I choose. My concept was to get a versatile rifle that I could use in a SHTF scenario, possible take hunting and use as an enjoyable tactical rifle at the range and in real life in ever needed.

Here lies my question. Currently I have an AR in .223/.556 that is set up for short range urban defense, and an old Remington 78 Sportsman in .223 that I use at the range a lot out to 100 yards or so. Both of these shoot well. My goal in purchasing the Savage was to kind of move up in the bolt action category to something that I feel will be more accurate.

My question is should I go .223 or .308 in the new rifle? Most of the ranges I shoot at are 200 yards so I don't see myself ever getting into really long ranges, however never say never I guess. The .223 would be cheaper to shoot. The .308 would be a better all around caliber if I ever wanted to use the rifle for hunting. The .308 would probably be a better caliber for a LE tactical type rifle. (at least in my mind but I could be totally wrong here)

Being that I already have a .223 in two other rifles should I go .308 and swallow the cost of ammo and just enjoy the rifle or should I sell the old Remington and get a new .223? The old Remington action is as smooth as glass not like the Remington 700s of today. Do you think the performance of the new Savage would be noticeably better than my old Remington 78 in .223? If not I would be best suited to go with the .308 to round out my caliber selection.

What would you do?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Caliber advise for new rifle...

.308 is where id be headed. if you already have 2 .223 rifles it only makes sense. 200 yards with a savage .308 and concentration you should be able to 5 rounds into 1.5" or a little more with the right ammo all day long, so for a range toy that would be fun. also shtf situations you could prolly take at least 3-4 zombies at once if they stand in line with one shot. mass society meltdown yo could use it to gather meat for the table. also it can be used for hunting to take anything your bound to run across in pa. humanely. ammo is gonna be a little more but you can find surplus and steel cased import stuff to practice with for a fairly reasonable price and use some high zoot, moderate cost ammo for hunting/home defense. plus everyone should have at least one rifle chambered in .308, its the american thing to do. plus chicks dig 'em.

(Delaware County)

I would go 308 win. I have a savage flcp-k in a 308. Love it.

I got into a pissing match on another thread, regarding this rifle I have. Dollar for dollar, you just can't beat the performance. My rifle shoots sub moa. Maybe you should look at joining another rifle range. Try New Holland rifle & pistol. Awesome club and the guys are knowledgeable. 600 plus on the rifle range.

Here is a pic of my Savage.

(Luzerne County)

This is the Savage I was originally looking at. Your looks sweet.

Where did you get that cheek pad?

I am also torn between a fixed 10x scope or an FFP variable. But I do want a mil-mil scope.

I saw this model and then was kind of being pushed towards the HS Precision model with the custom stock but I am not sure it would be as versatile if I wanted to hunt with it. I think this type of stock is easier to carry through the woods if I ever need to haul it around.

Do you think the precision carbine is worth looking at with the shorter barrel since you know what it is like to haul around the longer barreled model.

FYI, I saw you other posts on the other threads. I do understand where the other poster was coming from but for people like me the difference between .5 groups and 2 inch groups once you are past 500 yards is not worth a few thousand dollars.

I am a pro photographer and I have the same argument when it comes to lenses. In that arena I can and do justify $2,000 for a lens that a consumer can buy in a consumer version for $350. I get paid for my photography and the difference is visible.

I am not a professional sniper but I do need a rifle that is dependable and accurate enough for me to gather meat at those distances. I think the Savage will perform well. My own local gun shop advised me to go Savage vs. Remington. If Tikka had a better stock option they are another contender.

(Lycoming County)

Brudog:
    Since you already have a .223 in Remington the .308 makes good sense.
    Not unless you are not really satisfied with the Remington.
    You could always trade in the Remington to make the Savage a little more affordable and pick up a nice bolt .223 later.
    The .308 would give you a distance option vs. the .223.
    The .308 will cost more to feed so look at your financial situation to see how that looks.
    But keep in mind, you may want to make the .308 more of a special shoot only once in awhile gun and the .223 your regular range gun.
    I would only go carbine if you will be toting it around a lot.
    Shorter barrel makes the site line a little less accurate.
    Then there is also reloading!

RenoV8:
    I love Savage products.
    You cannot get a better buy for your money than to buy a Savage.
    Tremendous accuracy out of the box and bank account friendly.
    Good choice.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Delaware County)

The cheek pad is the BearClaw brand. It works well and has improved my cheek weld and overall sight picture.

I considered the precision carbine, but wanted the longer distance capability. This rifle is amazing to shoot. Accurate as hell.

I don't care for fixed scopes. This scope is perfect for my application. Again, one can spend a ton of money on a scope. This one was not cheap, but did not cost 2 gran either.

For the money Vortex will own the scopes in this price point. I looked at the razor too. I will purchase one with my next rifle.

For what you want, I do not feel you will be disappointed at all. The carbine does have a shorter barrel, which is a plus. The length of this rifle does not bother me, but, I do not hunt either.

I did consider a Remington as well.

(Delaware County)

I also purchased a Savage FVSR .22 bolt action rifle as well.

I put a vortex crossfire scope in it. My kids shoot that as do I.

Looking to buy the Savage scout rifle in 7.62x39 a bit pricey for what it is.

My first precision rifle is a 308. The reasons I started with a 308 are;
    - It's easy to obtain, weather it be a hunting round or a match round
    - There is a ton of ballistic data out there for it.
    - It doesn't kick too hard.
    - It has enough ass to go some distance.
    - The bullet selection is extremely diverse, quite possibly the most diverse caliber out there (.30 caliber, not just 308).

I agree with RenoV8, New Holland is a great club. From what I gather they are trying to extend the range. The issue there is that it's almost a three hour drive from where you are at. I'm fairly certain that you can find something closer if you don't feel up to the drive.

When I first got into the game, I wanted to squeeze all I could out of my FN Patrol Bolt. I ultimately started loading my own ammunition. Over time the equipment all paid for itself with how much I saved by being able to load my own match grade quality ammo. I still spend the same amount of money, I just shoot more.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Cumberland County)

yup, as others have said, can't go wrong with a 308.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    Looking to buy the Savage scout rifle in 7.62x39 a bit pricey for what it is.
    Thanks for the info. If you are looking for a nice 7.62x39 rifle that is affordable look at one of these. I own one and it rocks. It is fairly accurate and was very affordable. They are no longer made, I bought mine new in 1990 but can be had on the used market for cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpQDlWdhIdY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast