Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther P38

(Cumberland County)

Default Walther P38

Help me! I've wanted one of these, and I see a bunch of WWII P38's has just come up described as "surplus, but like new", all matching, un-peened waffens, etc.. The import marks are small and on the front of the grip instead of on the slide too!
    $625. Seems to be a great price, any thoughts? Anything to be cautious about when looking at WWII P38's ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Walther P38

That's not a horrible price but to be honest, if you're patient you can find a bring back w/o import marks for around the same amount. Untouched P38s aren't rare and though prices are going up like everything else, they're still pretty affordable. I'd pass. Just my opinion of course.

Hmmm , WWII P-38 vary greatly in value. There were millions made in a few short years. Early ones are very well made , fitted and finished, while late war examples can be quite rough externally , but fully functional. They also have different makers (Walther, Mauser, Spreewerk) and the maker marks/codes , dates and other markings all affect value. Generally , serious collectors don't want import marked guns. The ones captured by the Russians usually have the swastika peened over , but the eagle is still there.

Even unmarked, some late war guns don't fetch much more than $500.

Basically , it's a crapshoot. Pay yer money & take yer chances.

Watch a few on Gunbroker and see what they actually SELL for , not what they're listed for.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    That's not a horrible price but to be honest, if you're patient you can find a bring back w/o import marks for around the same amount. Untouched P38s aren't rare and though prices are going up like everything else, they're still pretty affordable. I'd pass. Just my opinion of course.
    Thanks, I needed some rational thought Based on one's I've seen on GB and GA it is a pretty good price, but I'm holding back. Harrisburg Gunshow is about a month away, love that show and always come home with an arm full, maybe some P38's there...... still thinking it over - lol. They also have some SIG P6's in great shape for $399 - they are killing me!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Hmmm , WWII P-38 vary greatly in value. There were millions made in a few short years. Early ones are very well made , fitted and finished, while late war examples can be quite rough externally , but fully functional. They also have different makers (Walther, Mauser, Spreewerk) and the maker marks/codes , dates and other markings all affect value. Generally , serious collectors don't want import marked guns. The ones captured by the Russians usually have the swastika peened over , but the eagle is still there.

Even unmarked, some late war guns don't fetch much more than $500.

Basically , it's a crapshoot. Pay yer money & take yer chances.

Watch a few on Gunbroker and see what they actually SELL for , not what they're listed for.
    Thanks, maybe I'll just do some more homework and check some out in person at the gunshow !!!

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Help me! I've wanted one of these, and I see a bunch of WWII P38's has just come up described as "surplus, but like new", all matching, un-peened waffens, etc.. The import marks are small and on the front of the grip instead of on the slide too!
    $625. Seems to be a great price, any thoughts? Anything to be cautious about when looking at WWII P38's ?
    Try to get one with all matching numbers with an original mag.

I bought one from AIM a while back, they went like hotcakes. My example (post) had an aftermarket mag, I replaced it with a surplus P1 mag. Took it to the range in June, it runs like a champ even with crappy Russian steel case ammo.

In my experience, newer shooters really like them. Lower recoil (due to all-steel construction), loaded chamber indicator and decent accuracy.

Wartime P-38s are the better examples, IMHO. The post-war models had an alloy frame, perhaps the frame tools & jigs were behind Russian lines. Avoid alloy frames (here's why). Some are OK, I recall the earlier models had frame cracking problems.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

I have not really kept up on these so I can't give you an opinion on price. I wantred one for some time and about three years ago Gander Mt was selling
    P1s cheap. I happened to be in the store one day just after a guy returned one. It went home with me for $170. This particular one is a 1960s manufacture. No historic value but I wanted it for a shooter anyway.

(Cumberland County)

The ones I'm looking at are wartime all matching. Can't tell which manufacturer and won't promise. Wasn't clear on magazine so I emailed to check. Also stated black or brown/red grips but no choosing, I really want the brown/red.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Try to get one with all matching numbers with an original mag.

I bought one from AIM a while back, they went like hotcakes. My example (post) had an aftermarket mag, I replaced it with a surplus P1 mag. Took it to the range in June, it runs like a champ even with crappy Russian steel case ammo.

In my experience, newer shooters really like them. Lower recoil (due to all-steel construction), loaded chamber indicator and decent accuracy.

Wartime P-38s are the better examples, IMHO. The post-war models had an alloy frame, perhaps the frame tools & jigs were behind Russian lines. Avoid alloy frames (here's why). Some are OK, I recall the earlier models had frame cracking problems.
    That's a beauty - exactly what I want!

(Allegheny County)

Do you have your C&R? If so, just lurk at the P38 forum trader and you should be able to snag a good deal: http://www.p38forum.com/

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast