Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non-Resident Living in PA

Good morning folks.

I have a few questions that I am hoping my fellow law abiding gun owners can answer for me. Let me outline my situation:

a) My wife and I have sold our home in NJ and are becoming residents of South Dakota living in our RV full time
    b) As I am going to continue to work for the time being at my place of employment in the NYC area we will be living month to month at an RV campground in NE PA
    c) I possess 3 current non-resident CCW licenses: Florida, New Hampshire and Maine
    d) We own both hand guns and long guns

My questions are the following:

1) Since my Florida CCW permit is still valid as a SD resident, do I need to do anything in PA while living here? Register with sheriff, etc.?
    2) Do I need any special permit or need to get a FID to purchase ammo?
    3) Do I need to register my hand guns, etc.?
    4) Since I have a valid CCW from Florida can I carry in Phila?
    5) My wife does not have her CCW yet for Florida and although she cannot carry concealed, can she carry open?

As you see coming from the Peoples Republic of New Germany where the laws are set up to prevent personal protection I am not quite sure how to handle what I hope is new found Freedom.

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Non-Resident Living in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboomer View Post
    Good morning folks.

I have a few questions that I am hoping my fellow law abiding gun owners can answer for me. Let me outline my situation:

a) My wife and I have sold our home in NJ and are becoming residents of South Dakota living in our RV full time
    b) As I am going to continue to work for the time being at my place of employment in the NYC area we will be living month to month at an RV campground in NE PA
    c) I possess 3 current non-resident CCW licenses: Florida, New Hampshire and Maine

1) Since my Florida CCW permit is still valid as a SD resident, do I need to do anything in PA while living here? Register with sheriff, etc.?
    5) My wife does not have her CCW yet for Florida and although she cannot carry concealed, can she carry open?

As you see coming from the Peoples Republic of New Germany where the laws are set up to prevent personal protection I am not quite sure how to handle what I hope is new found Freedom.

Thanks in advance.
    1. No.

2. No. Pa has no equivalent of NJFPID cards. Ammo can be freely purchased.

3. No.

4.Yes.

5. Yes except in Phila and during states of emergencies. Her OC is restricted to afoot only; she cannot transport in a vehicle regardless whether on person or carried in a locked container.

There also is a restriction that you cannot carry within 1000 feet of a school zone under Federal law (18 USC 922(q)) without a license from the school's host state. However that law, although on the books, is rarely if ever, enforced unless there is other criminal activity involved.

Here's two links that may be of some further use:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

and for unlicensed carry in a vehicle or CC:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...1.006.000..HTM
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    IANAL

(Adams County)

1) I'd update Florida with new address, other than that I think you will be fine.
    2) <shudder> No.
    3) No.
    4) Yes, but expect to be hassled if you encounter a leo and he knows you have a firearm.
    5) Yes, but only while on foot and not in Philadelphia. (edit after tl_3237's comment: whoops, forgot SoE's)
    Last edited by jtwalker; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboomer View Post
    Good morning folks.

Thanks in advance.
    1. There is nothing you need to do. If your FL permit is still valid, it is good in PA.
    2. No.
    3. PA doesn't have a registration. Only 4 states do, PA isn't one of them.
    4. Yes
    5. She can open carry afoot outside of Philly. However transporting a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) in a vehicle is a felony in PA, unless you qualify for a LTCF then it becomes a Misdemeanor 1(which still makes you a prohibited person for life), unless you have a permit from ANY other state. She absolutely cannot open carry in Philly without a PA LTCF or a reciprocal permit. In Philly even long guns require a LTCF or reciprocal permit to carry on public domain.

Note: Unless you have a PA LTCF, you will be in violation of the federal Gun Free School Zone Act if you carry within 1000ft of a K-12 grade school.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

You must correct your new home address with Florida.

I see that it is stated that carrying a firearm in a vehicle in PA is a felony. Am I correct in assuming that I may transport my firearm unloaded to a a place of legal open carry, then open carry legally there? I am a Maryland resident. Thanks, in advance.

I'm going to disagree with the previous posts. I don't think your situation is as clear-cut as you seem to think it is.

You wrote that you are "becoming" S. Dakota residents. That suggests that you are not currently a S. Dakota resident. Further, you will be working in NY and living in PA while you work in NY. IMHO that makes you a resident of PA, not SD. You obviously will not be commuting from SD to NYC.

That said, your FL permit will be valid in PA, but as other questions arise it is important for you to understand your residency status, and I do not think you do.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slimster22 View Post
    You must correct your new home address with Florida.

I see that it is stated that carrying a firearm in a vehicle in PA is a felony. Am I correct in assuming that I may transport my firearm unloaded to a a place of legal open carry, then open carry legally there? I am a Maryland resident. Thanks, in advance.
    Transportation in a vehicle is permissible without a LTCF for a very limited set of purposes: traveling directly to and from target shooting, hunting, gunsmith, place of purchase, between your residences, or between your residence and a business that you own.

The definition of directly indicates that you cannot make any stops regardless of their duration or purpose.

Transporting for the purpose of open carry is not one of those exemptions. You would need a PA LTCF or one from a reciprocal state to do what you are thinking of doing.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by heili View Post
    Transportation in a vehicle is permissible without a LTCF for a very limited set of purposes: traveling directly to and from target shooting, hunting, gunsmith, place of purchase, between your residences, or between your residence and a business that you own.

The definition of directly indicates that you cannot make any stops regardless of their duration or purpose.

Transporting for the purpose of open carry is not one of those exemptions. You would need a PA LTCF or one from a reciprocal state to do what you are thinking of doing.
    I mostly agree, but vehicle transport is permitted in PA with a license/permit from any state. It doesn't have to be a reciprocal state. (A reciprocal state's permit is required for concealed carry, carry during a SOE, and carrying in Philly.)

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Last edited by twency; August 21st, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I mostly agree, but vehicle transport is permitted in PA with a license/permit from any state. It doesn't have to be a reciprocal state. (A reciprocal state's permit is required for concealed carry, carry during a SOE, and carrying in Philly.)
    True. In that case, Slimster22 would need to stay out of Philadelphia and make sure that there is no declared state of emergency, right?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by heili View Post
    True. In that case, Slimster22 would need to stay out of Philadelphia and make sure that there is no declared state of emergency, right?
    Yes, that's my understanding.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.