Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default What does the law say....

Ok really stupid, really noob question.. so bully's back off please. Is a carbine considered a long gun? I am asking this b/c my buddy who is 20 wants to buy one and i didn't know he answer to his question if he could buy one. I realize i could walk into any store and ask or make a phone call but i wanted to know the reasoning behind why they are classified one way or the other so i thought i'd consult the gurus.

Thanks in advance,

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What does the law say....

hmm... yes... what exactly is the different between a carbine and a rifle?

I suppose its size.. or maybe a carbine is a rifle that fires handgun rounds..
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

A carbine's main distinquishable characterstic is it is shorter in most versions. That is the only way I can usually visually determine them. It is still a long gun though.

The M4 is the carbine version of the M16.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Beaver County)

For PA law, It depends on barrel length.

a "Firearm" as covered by a liscnse to carry firearm includes any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches

A rifle therefore is having a barrel greater than 16inches. In general, a carbine will be considered a rifle.

I am not a lawyer, and this is as I interperate it since there is no specific definition of "rifle"

There's two types of firearms, Pistols or Longarms.

Rifles/Shotguns/etc is a Longarm.

For the most part, length is a factor, but I have heard of people building/buying AR-15 'Pistols'. I *believe* the criteria for a pistol is that it can't have a stock, and has to never have had a stock attached (ie. you can't turn a rifle into a pistol by reregistering it, but you can register a pistol as a rifle permanantly)

As far as federal law goes, a Longarm has to have a minimum barrel length of 16", and an overall length of at least 26". Unless, of course, you get an SBR tax stamp on it for $200.00. If you turn a pistol into a SBR, you can always remove the offending features later and turn the SBR back into a Title 1 pistol.

A carbine, if you mean a rifle like an AR-15 type, yes it's a longarm. 18 to purchase in PA. If you mean an AR-15 PISTOL, no, must be 21.

I hope this was somewhat useful.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDevil View Post
    There's two types of firearms, Pistols or Longarms.

Rifles/Shotguns/etc is a Longarm.

For the most part, length is a factor, but I have heard of people building/buying AR-15 'Pistols'. I *believe* the criteria for a pistol is that it can't have a stock, and has to never have had a stock attached (ie. you can't turn a rifle into a pistol by reregistering it, but you can register a pistol as a rifle permanantly)

As far as federal law goes, a Longarm has to have a minimum barrel length of 16", and an overall length of at least 26". Unless, of course, you get an SBR tax stamp on it for $200.00. If you turn a pistol into a SBR, you can always remove the offending features later and turn the SBR back into a Title 1 pistol.

A carbine, if you mean a rifle like an AR-15 type, yes it's a longarm. 18 to purchase in PA. If you mean an AR-15 PISTOL, no, must be 21.

I hope this was somewhat useful.
    that'll do it, thanks for the info. I think he was looking at a bushmaster M-4. I think thats the .223. I know nothing about carbines but they seem like they could be fun.