Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W Bodyguard 380 Review

Alright gentlemen, first post! My best friend has moved to Harrisburg so I've been spending time there so I figured I'd visit the local forum to stir up some good old firearms conversation

I picked this gun up in 2010, put 100 rounds through it, and it's been in my carry rotation ever since. I generally shoot one magazine through the gun every time I go to the range just to keep familiar with the gun but I don't particularly enjoy shooting it like I do my larger framed guns.

Before I go any further... using the 380ACP cartridge for self defense is controversial (Is it enough power? JHPs or FMJs? ect...) but in my opinion the old cliche' applies––-having 7 rounds of 380 in your pocket when you need it is better than having 9 rounds of 45ACP in your glove compartment...

To me, this is the ultimate back up gun. Fits in the pocket of most pants/shorts without printing much if at all, is extremely reliable, and has more than acceptable accuracy at 10m and in. If you're concerned about only having the little 380 with you than there's still room on your waist for your G19 or 1911 should you feel the need.

Pros:
    -Reliable (over 800 rounds with 0 failures)
    -Accurate for a pocket gun
    -Usable sights and aftermarket night sight availability
    -Built in Insight laser
    -Good trigger for a pocket gun
    -Lightweight (12oz)
    -Durable melonite finish
    -Great S&W customer support

Cons:
    -External safety
    -Laser is not very visible in bright sunlight (I generally don't use the laser however)
    -Button on the laser is relatively hard to actuate; an instinctive Crimson Trace style activation would be a much better option in my opinion
    -2.75'' barrel doesn't maximize the 380s potential

All in all, it's a great gun and I'd buy it again. Heres a video with some shooting, disassembly and assembly of the pistol, some size comparisons with other popular carry guns (Shield, CM9, G26) and some chronograph testing:

Bodyguard 380 Review Video Link

Chronograph data:

Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHPs: 911fps, 166ft/lbs energy
    Dynamic Research Technologies 85gr frangible HP:1184fps, 265ft/lbs energy
    Magtech 95gr FMJs: 797fps, 134ft/lbs energy

One thing I just have to say about these little guns––-people often ask me, "My wife/mom/girlfriend/ect... has never shot a gun before and she wants something small and cute. What gun should I get her?" A small and lightweight gun is the hardest type of gun to shoot well. So, the lightweight snub 38 or this BG380 are absolutely not ideal for new shooters or those who are recoil averse. The have (relatively) difficult sights to pick up and their triggers are more difficult to master than a typical striker, SAO, or DA/SA gun. That's my $.02 anyway...

(York County)

Default Re: S&W Bodyguard 380 Review

Welcome to PAFOA. Nice review, thanks for posting.

I have been considering adding a BG380 to my carry guns, I have the LCP and CM9, I usually carry the Kahr, but wouldn't mind having a better feeling(grip) .380 for those times I don't what to carry the slightly larger, heavier Kahr.

PS. Don't leave home without your gun in Harrisburg

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA. Nice review, thanks for posting.

I have been considering adding a BG380 to my carry guns, I have the LCP and CM9, I usually carry the Kahr, but wouldn't mind having a better feeling(grip) .380 for those times I don't what to carry the slightly larger, heavier Kahr.

PS. Don't leave home without your gun in Harrisburg
    Thanks for the tip! (I never leave home without my gun [or 2] FWIW)

I do like the grip of the BG over the LCP. I really like the LCP and it's #2 on my favorite pocket 380s so you've certainly got a good one already.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the review!
    I have a Kel-Tec P32 that I carry all the time - again with the same thought as you, 7 x .32 is better than 0 ! and it just plain disappears in a pocket. In my rotation is a Glock 26 and an S&W bodyguard 638 airweight revolver which I love! My first thought on seeing the bodyguard 380 automatic was "it has too many buttons" (just looking at the slide gave me the willies! ) but I am sure it is all a matter of training. Thanks again,

Cb

I think just ignoring the buttons is the way to go. I practice swiping off the safety (it's never been actuated accidently though) just in case but that's it.

(Bucks County)

My hubby has the Bodyguard and I have an LCP....I hate the Bodyguard's safety as well as I dislike the laser. My LCP has a Pierce grip extension which pretty much equals the stock grip on the Bodyguard, and the CT laser is much better for more control as far as automatically turning it on AND actually if you want to quickly turn it off for some reason. Sights are better on the Bodyguard, but they also stick up...the LCP is more rounded. Anyway my opinion on these little pocket guns is that if you need them, you won't have time to line up the sights anyway.....love the laser for these little guys.

They're not that fun to shoot but the laser helps them be accurate and its a good, easily concealable defense.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

Smile Re: S&W Bodyguard 380 Review

BG is cool,But still have an LCP for the hotter days.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    One thing I just have to say about these little guns––-people often ask me, "My wife/mom/girlfriend/ect... has never shot a gun before and she wants something small and cute. What gun should I get her?" A small and lightweight gun is the hardest type of gun to shoot well. So, the lightweight snub 38 or this BG380 are absolutely not ideal for new shooters or those who are recoil averse. The have (relatively) difficult sights to pick up and their triggers are more difficult to master than a typical striker, SAO, or DA/SA gun. That's my $.02 anyway...
    Welcome to PAFOA! Excellent review, I actually just shot the BG380 for my first time Wednesday night. I've been wanting to look into a pocket carry gun for awhile now and the girlfriend has been wanting to shoot so I took the chance to take her out on "date night" at the local range and grab some rental guns. She has only been shooting once with me so far and has a fear of larger guns still even though I had the same exact debate with her that I quoted from your first post. I tried warning her that the cute little pink LCP is not going to be enjoyable for her to play with.... Oh well.. She learned the hard way lol.

In my opinion I liked the feel of the Bodyguard much better than the LCP, I think part of it has to do with big hands. The laser on the BG definitely was lacking though, I could barely see it in the indoor range! The BG is definitely top on my list to get for a BUG/pocket carry whenever money allows.

(Clarion County)

Have been using a LCP this summer, and my only complaint with it is that the slide does not lock back after the last shot. I understand the size restricts the design. Took some getting used to. Does the BG slide lock back after the last shot?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Beaver County)

I had one and sold it. Not b/c I didn't like it, but b/c I didn't want .380 anymore. Less bullet for the same price as a 9mm. Compared to the LCP and the P-3AT, I felt it had slightly less recoil. I liked the external safety for piece of mind however the trigger was heavy enough that if the safety was left off, there was no need to worry about an ND.

I will say this about it's ammo choices. It DID NOT like the Prvi. I had some that required a second squeeze of the trigger. (Another nice thing about it being a DOA)

Yes the slide locks back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast