Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Choosing a weapon for concealed carry

I've been loooking around for the past week learning and understanding the different calibers, as I've only shot a 22 handguns and a couple 30 ot 6 rifles. I'm obviously not a gun person which has tried every gun known to man, though I'd love to be.

I've been looking at Glocks so far, 40 and 45 cal. The G27 looks nice and compat, though I still have to go look at what the local friendly gun guy. Yes, 1911s look very nice, I've been looking at various guns.

I do tend to think in terms of, "what is the worst possible scenario." My questions is, what other handguns besides glocks are known to shoot just fine after being dropped in water, sand, or mud? I also know how easy glocks are to disassemble and clean, but ease of maintainence isn't important to me. I'm looking for the most reliable gun which I can carry.

Thanks for a great forum, I've been reading various posts.

(York County)

Default Re: Choosing a weapon for concealed carry

At least take a look at a Glock 19 and a few .38 Spl snubbies.
    Can't get any more reliable then those...

It'll also help if you determine hpw you want to carry: Pocket, IWB, OWB.

Me, I carry different guns depending on how I dress and where I'm going. Might be as small as a .32ACP Beretta or as large as the Glock 19.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; February 29th, 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    At least take a look at a Glock 19 and a few .38 Spl snubbies.
    Can't get any more reliable then those...

It'll also help if you determine hpw you want to carry: Pocket, IWB, OWB.

Me, I carry different guns depending on how I dress and where I'm going. Might be as small as a .32ACP Beretta or as large as the Glock 19.
    Well if I get a glock, I want a waistband or some other type of holster. I don't think I'd trust a glock in my pocket with all my tech gear. I'm liable to blow off my foot, or worse.

I carry the G27 as my concealed firearm of choice and love it. It's small enough not make a large imprint on your clothing and I tend to forget it there at times.

If you get the G27, I'd highly suggest the grip extender part the goes onto the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    I carry the G27 as my concealed firearm of choice and love it. It's small enough not make a large imprint on your clothing and I tend to forget it there at times.

If you get the G27, I'd highly suggest the grip extender part the goes onto the magazine.
    Yeah, seeing as I usually wear dress shirts and khakis/or slacks every day, I think a smaller gun will have a better ability of being hidden. I'm still not sure what type of holster to get. One has to remember my shirt is buttoned and tucked. The only type of holster which is more accessible if I'm not wearing a coat is a shoulder holster.

(Allegheny County)

I'd suggest not buying anything until you can shoot it first. Find a range that rents guns and try a few different ones to see which you like best. Of course don't limit yourself to one if you happen to like more than one!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

I realize that you want to find a gun to carry and there are a myriad of types/calibers to chose from. What might help you decide is to take a concealed weapons class before settling on a particular gun. The class is going to give you all the basic info, when you can legally use the weapon, the laws behind concealed carry, etc. From the information gained in a class like this it may help you decide on what you want and how you want to carry.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

I cannot agree with XRingShooter and DaveM55 more! I would never reccommend anyone ccw without finding a gun they can operate safely and accurately. That only comes with practice and more practice. In order to 'fast track' that practice, a good CCW course would do wonders for anyone who wishes to be as safe and responsible as possible. If you do decide to CCW, those 2 words should become your mantra.....'safe and responsible'.
    With that being said, today's modern firearms are all very reliable. Snubby revolvers and sub-compact Glocks are both great choices.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I'd suggest not buying anything until you can shoot it first. Find a range that rents guns and try a few different ones to see which you like best. Of course don't limit yourself to one if you happen to like more than one!
    +1.

And try not to drop your gun in water, sand and mud. NONE of them will work well every time after that sort of treatment.

Lycangottahaveagunthatfitsyathrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Fulton County)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast