Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Choosing a weapon for concealed carry

Buy a 1911 Compact.
    Last edited by Slotimus; March 1st, 2008 at 12:18 AM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Nice XD! I got my eye on the xd-9 sub compact, But that .45 is SWEET!!!!!

I think you'll love it. But it's not the smallest carry weapon by any means. You might have to make slight changes to your dress, but a small gun that's easy to carry can be a lousy range gun. Even if you have to dress a little differently you selected a good all-purpose gun.

Should be a blast.

I'm very exact, I made measurements and a IWB holder or a shoulder holster will work just fine when I want to carry it concealed. At other times, I think I'll just OC.

I was looking around at shoulder holsters, however this one is not leather http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html

carrying the gun in the crotch area isn't an option :P A holster which is located on the back would work though.

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    Nice XD! I got my eye on the xd-9 sub compact, But that .45 is SWEET!!!!!

I think you'll love it. But it's not the smallest carry weapon by any means. You might have to make slight changes to your dress, but a small gun that's easy to carry can be a lousy range gun. Even if you have to dress a little differently you selected a good all-purpose gun.

Should be a blast.

(York County)

While most semi-autos are nice and I have owned several, revlovers are also great for reliability.

BB
    3%

(Lehigh County)

I'm not telling you what's right for you. I'll tell you what's right for me and why. I own a Model 27 Glock and it's a great gun. I carry it when I'm wearing the right clothing but I left it in the truck to many times because I couldn't conceal it, especially in the summer time. Since I bought my Kel Tec P3AT, I carry all the time. If I knew I was going to a gunfight I'd take something else and it would probably be something more than a Model 27. It would probably be a 12 gauge. However, the gun that will probably save your life is the one you always have with you. For me that is my Kel Tek. It's not that bad a shooter inside 10 yards and even though it's only a .380, I would not want to be hit by a 95 grain hollow point. I wish that Federal would come out with a hydro shock for it.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Bradford County & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    Well, I had some what of a limited selection, but from the pros and cons, I selected a XD.
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=23

Seriously, I didn't know XD had double safety or I would've been looking more in to those than any other. I'm looking for a self desfense and fun to shoot weapon, so the XD .45 ACP should do just fine. Like someone else said, I could just go buy another gun.

Damn, they only had solids in stock, no hollow points for me until they can get some nice Golden Sabers in stock.

From what I see, you got a lot of good advice from this forum. You also made an EXCELLENT choice in weaponry. The XD won't let you down...now PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and then when you think you're comfortable with the weapon, PRACTICE some more. Then get very intimate/familar with your sidearm. Treat it like a good woman, and make sure you know her favorite thing's to eat when you take her out. Keep her by your side always. Spoil her and clean her... bathe her in warm oil, towel dry her off, and let her know she is special... that way, she will always perform for you.

A lot of good information here.

I agree, rent several guns before you buy!

The gun for you may not be the gun you WANT!!! Don’t buy into the gun dealers sales pitch. They are there to sell you a gun! Normally they do start with the higher price stuff, and what is “hot”. It may be a good place to start, but if the gun doesn’t fit you right, then you aren’t going to shoot well, and you will get discouraged.

Shoot the gun ONE HANDED! If you cannot hit what you are aiming at with one hand, then you need another gun or drop down to a smaller caliber. Of course, if you are a first time shooter, overall accuracy may be an issue. You should make sure that it feels good in one hand nonetheless.

Most people shoot two handed and this is not the “test” that you need to do for concealed carry purposes.

Caliber is really not important. Don’t buy into the larger caliber = better results because it doesn’t matter what size of bullet you miss with.

I feel the .40 cal has a lot of snap to it when shooting one handed. I had a G27 and got rid of it for several reasons. I now carry G19’s. The G19 was my first Glock and I tried a couple of different calibers and came back to the 9mm round for a number of reasons. As far a “compactness” goes, the G19 is in the middle. The G27 didn’t fit my hand all that well and my pinky hung over and I didn’t like that. If you get an extended floor plate you might as well have a G19 because the only real difference then is about ˝ inch barrel and magazine capacity.

Follow up shots are very important. And, if you cannot deliver follow up shots quickly while shooting one handed, then you probably need a different gun and possibly a different caliber.

Train hard, train often, and train REALISTICALLY!!!
    Modern Warrior Talk
    "High Impact Training"
    “Serious tactics for serious situations!”
    Check our Advanced Pistol Fighting Course out in the April 2008 issue of SWAT Magazine! The article is titled Unarmed and Armed Combatives

What everyone else said is really good advice. espcially about comfort, classes and shooting what you consider.

I CC a Taurus PT745 Millinum Pro, it's a subcompact .45 I only got it because it was a .45 (to match my others) and because SA doesn't make a Sub-c .45

It handles and shoots well, and is very easy to conceal.

(tonight while out with the GF, she was cuddling up close on the side I had it on at dinner and didn't even realize it until later when we got to my home and I took it off)

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123