Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Dispute with the Fiancee Over Gun Ownership

exceltoexcel

I hope you are right. I would like to believe that but I have seen these liberals in action. They cant help themselves. It is like an adiction. They are driven with blinders on.

(Montgomery County)

Well it's really all speculation anyways. No one can be sure. I'm not possitive myself. However I think we can all see that in general we've been moving in the better direction lately, with all the CCW permits ect... I'm actually optimistic about the near future - 2 years. I'll say this if something does get passed, I'm pretty sure we'll see a surge at the polls again.

(Allegheny County)

the ohio legislature just overrode the governors veto of state pre-emption bya pretty wide margin.

the bill here in PA to allow LTCF holders to carry a semi-auto pistol while hunting passed dang near unanimously...and then was signed into law by an anti-gun democrat governor...

more and more states are passing shall-issue CCW laws.

the leadership of the democratic party might squawk a lot, but i think the majority of the politicians in this country, including the dems, see the writing on the wall.

personally, i agree with excel...i don't think we'll see much of anything actually pass. we may well see pelosi/feinstein/kerry/clinton introduce legislation, but i really don't see it passing. once you get passed their anti-bushedness, the dems are about as united as the shia and sunnis in iraq.

(Chester County)

guys I hope you are right. I am not looking for it. All gunbans do is raise prices. Look at how South African and any good 308 surplus has gotten. people are hoarding. Supply and demand. I said it before I would be more then happy to eat my hat on this.

(Delaware County)

JoePSU,
    I use the range on Front Street each week, normally a Wednesday or Thursday. It would be my honor to take you or her or both as my guests to let some knowledge ebbinto the discussion.

Best regards,
    chalmitch

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoePSU View Post
    I'm kind of disturbed by some of you guys who just say "F her, do what you want." I don't want to tell you guys how to live your lives, but my priorities are definitely not in line with that. Kind of like throwing the baby out with the bath water to dump the person you are trying to protect...

Have any of you guys, especially the ones telling me "just be a man" live anywhere where you have had to defend yourself against violent crime? I find that a lot of the hard core gun owners often live in rural areas that are pretty much secluded from the type of crime I would have to encounter walking around at night.
    It disturbs me too. Some of these guys who decry the heavy handed tactics of the state apparently have no problem employing the same kind of tactics to "their woman".

At any rate, her main argument is that any probably situation (ie mugging) that could arise in our neighborhood would only turn out worse if I was to introduce a gun into the situation. For one thing, most street crime around here is non violent, and I can see her point that if we got held up for the $50 in my wallet, and the thug found my gun, things could get violent quickly. I am not of the opinion that killing someone over $50 in a wallet with a $500 gun (that would be confiscated) is worth it.

I think that the argument "if you get into a situation where your life is in danger, and you are going to die unless you can kill the other guy first, you damn well better be glad and able to use a gun" trumps her opinion that "Nothing good can come of having a gun." To me, it's an all or nothing scenario. I know that that chances of having to defend myself against deadly force are much smaller than say, being in a fatal car accident, so at a lot of levels, she has some valid points.
    Here's the thing, you can't depend on an outcome whereby a given encounter will not turn violent regardless of whether you're carrying a firearm.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lougotzz View Post
    guys I hope you are right. I am not looking for it. All gunbans do is raise prices.
    That's why you have to just buy what you want/need now, before you can't get it anymore.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Fulton County)

Its better to have a gun and not need it than needing a gun and not having it!!!!!!!

when i got my CCW i asked my girlfriend how she felt about me having a pistol on my person when we went out places.

her reply was just that

in more detail she told me how if SHTF atleast we would have a chance of surviving and not being at the mercy of "bad people"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    That's why you have to just buy what you want/need now, before you can't get it anymore.
    buy some extras, too...

remember phase I is "collect..." and phase III is "profit".

we may have just discovered what the mysterious phase II is...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345