Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Shooting at Ranges that rent.....

A few months ago my lGS owner commented about how he will not shoot at any range where guns are rented. His concern obviously being novice shooters and their lack of experience.

This comment has stuck with me over the months as I have given it more consideration following a couple incidents at my local range.

1) I'm on line buying targets behind some thug renting a glock 17 who is adament about using music headphones as ear protection. I am then placed in the lane next to said thug who proceeds to shoot "gangster style," one handed, gun held sideways as he misses the target at 7 yds.

2) Guys girlfriend (presumably) fires a few rounds into the range lights, missing the target at 5 yds, laughing all the while about how, "oh my gawd, this is so hard."

Now, the stalls are armored at this range but sometimes I feel as though I'm putting myself in unnecessary danger. Every so often I notice all the bulletholes in the stall walls, celiing, etc, forward of the firing line and decide to cancel my membership and shoot only at DCFS.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm curious what you guys think. Anyone else wrangling with this dilemma.

MrR

Default Re: Shooting at Ranges that rent.....

If you feel that it is unsafe because of some other shooter, why not talk to the range officer? You could always ask if you could help out a new shooter.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrrogers191980 View Post
    A few months ago my lGS owner commented about how he will not shoot at any range where guns are rented. His concern obviously being novice shooters and their lack of experience.

This comment has stuck with me over the months as I have given it more consideration following a couple incidents at my local range.

1) I'm on line buying targets behind some thug renting a glock 17 who is adament about using music headphones as ear protection. I am then placed in the lane next to said thug who proceeds to shoot "gangster style," one handed, gun held sideways as he misses the target at 7 yds.

2) Guys girlfriend (presumably) fires a few rounds into the range lights, missing the target at 5 yds, laughing all the while about how, "oh my gawd, this is so hard."

Now, the stalls are armored at this range but sometimes I feel as though I'm putting myself in unnecessary danger. Every so often I notice all the bulletholes in the stall walls, celiing, etc, forward of the firing line and decide to cancel my membership and shoot only at DCFS.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm curious what you guys think. Anyone else wrangling with this dilemma.

MrR
    I can't disagree with you. You can't count on others to worry about your safety. (a lot of them don't even worry about their own safety) This is why I have a love hate relationship with SGL ranges.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I stopped by a SGL range near Erie a couple of months ago. Had the whole place to myself until two young guys showed up with two handguns, two boxes of ammo and some targets, no cases or range bags, no eyes and ears, no staples or tape, or anything else. I immediately packed up and left. Many people here have done the same thing at SGL ranges when they saw ignorant or reckless shooters, and some have stopped going altogether. So I don't think you're paranoid. If it happens often there, then a membership is hardly worth it.

Did you talk to any employees about those incidents? If so, what did they say or do?

(Butler County)

Best bet on any indoor or outdoor public range is to go during off hours. Tuesday-Thursday mid morning or afternoon in my area. Common to be the only one there.

Many using the range are new to shooting and even being with an experienced shooter they're going to miss the target and possibly miss handle the gun.

I always watch the shooters before I decide to shoot. If someone comes in and is being unsafe it's reported.

If they're missing the target I'll offer my help/advice. They're most likely new and gladly accept the help. Might even get a new shooting buddy.

(Warren County)

I once was a few stalls down for a gun who was bouncing rounds off the wall. I put my gun down down and notified the range officer who then had a chat with the individual. Problem solved, shooter listened and corrected his shooting.

On other occasions ive shared some of my experience with novice shooters, even letting them try the guns I had with me that day. Buts that's just me, I'll talk to anyone as those of you who have met me can attest too.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Monroe County)

I was unaware that some one who never fired a gun before and rents one is unsafe but someone who never shot a gun and buys one is an expert.

Seems it's a problem with unsafe and uneducated shooters. This can happen regardless if the gun is rented or owned. I would follow DonM55's advice if it such a concern and there is no range officer available.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    I was unaware that some one who never fired a gun before and rents one is unsafe but someone who never shot a gun and buys one is an expert.

Seems it's a problem with unsafe and uneducated shooters. This can happen regardless if the gun is rented or owned. I would follow DonM55's advice if it such a concern and there is no range officer available.
    My experience, anecdotal as it may be, is that people who own guns are generally more informed on proper technique and safety procedures.

I mean, come on. This isn't brain surgery. The vast majority of the time renters are going to have less experience than gun owners (Save for the total novice who decided to purchase a gun without ever having shot one byanymeans )

I hear what some of you are saying, however, this range essentially has no RO, just a guy behind the front desk of the store front. Additionally, if a guy comes in which some chick who is shooting terribly I'm not going to bust up their "date" or whatever and approach them. Its just weird. RE: Thug, sideways shooter, I didnt want to go anywhere near him.

MrR