Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Cooper Rifle Company vs Montana Rifle Company

I am looking for a new hunting rifle in 308 Winchester. Anyone have either of these two brands of rifles? Thanks. Jeff

Default Re: Cooper Rifle Company vs Montana Rifle Company

I doubt you'll find many users if any who own any of these rifles, let alone know who they are.

For what it's worth, I've been in the market for a new hunting rifle for the past year or so. I've narrowed it down to an off the shelf Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm WSM or something from Montana Rifle Company in the 260 Remington flavor. I am a huge fan of the controlled round fed design for hunting rifles. The MRC rifle is about $100 to $200 more than the Model 70 I stated for a comparable model, but I feel it's worth it. Plus, finding a quality 260 Remington is a challenge in itself. The more I think about it, the more I may aim towards the MRC. I don't know what their lead time is anymore, but back when I was corresponding with them about purchasing one of their actions, it was 4 to 6 weeks (2010/2011).

I can't tell you anything about cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

I actually own a cooper phoenix in a 260 rem and love it! I've worked up a "pet load" for it that will group between .400 to .500 anyday of the week. My father also owns a few coopers in 243 ackley, 6ppc, and 17 rem that all shoot great as well. He also has a Montana in a 257 Roberts that is one hell of a fine looking rifle as well. The roberts still hasn't been fired yet but you cannot go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown View Post
    I actually own a cooper phoenix in a 260 rem and love it! I've worked up a "pet load" for it that will group between .400 to .500 anyday of the week. My father also owns a few coopers in 243 ackley, 6ppc, and 17 rem that all shoot great as well. He also has a Montana in a 257 Roberts that is one hell of a fine looking rifle as well. The roberts still hasn't been fired yet but you cannot go wrong with either one.
    ...and just when I open my mouth...I stand corrected.

I was a 308 guy for a long time, but with the advent of recent bullets (Barnes TSX and Berger VLD), the retained velocity and energy of the 260 makes it the man in the 308 parent case format.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    ...and just when I open my mouth...I stand corrected.

I was a 308 guy for a long time, but with the advent of recent bullets (Barnes TSX and Berger VLD), the retained velocity and energy of the 260 makes it the man in the 308 parent case format.

I couldnt agree anymore. The 260 is a flatter shooting cartrigde with less recoil as well. I use my phoenix for both deer and varmints. Its fun to hit them groundhogs with a 100 grain ballistic tip! Makes a fine mess of them!

(Centre County)

J & E Guns in Bellefonte is a Cooper Rifles of Montana dealer and stock a few (even one in .308) if you wanna drive there and fondle the hardware. I can tell you that every one of these guns I've handled is georgous, but that's it.....

www.jandeguns.com

(not affiliated)
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Armstrong County)

I loved my Cooper 204 and 22-250.
    Fantastic shooting weapons right out of the box with factory ammo, and even better with hand loads.
    Wish i would have kept at least one of them, but bigger faster toys needed to take their place.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Indiana County)

I haven't looked into Cooper much but I've looked and handled the Montana Rifles and they are as beautiful as they shoot. Personally my flavor of rifle is .280 and .280 AI.