Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Don' get upset

(Lancaster County)

Default Don' get upset

Good Morning All,

I had a recent experience of negotiating with someone to buy a couple of huntin rifles from me. I called to see if he was still interested and to arrange to send pictures, when I mentioned wanting to conduct the sale through a dealer. He objected that saying that he wasn't going to pay for it and for 2 rifles would be a bit of money. I said I understood, no hard feelings, but that is the way I wanted to conduct the sale.

In a subsequent conversation, he mentioned he had sold numerous rifles and had not gone through a dealer and that he also had a carry permit. I explained that this is how I wanted to conduct the sale. He seemed upset.

When someone wants to go through a dealer to conduct a sale there really seem to be only a couple of choices.

Yes, let's do the sale.
    No, I'm not going to do that.

Don't get upset, just look for the next deal.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go through a FFL, nor is there anything wrong with meeting face to face along with a bill of sale and identification.

I purchased the rifles through dealers and I simply want any possible liability to stop at the point of sale.

Just my thoughts.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Don' get upset

There is really no need or purpose of transferring a long gun through an FFL in PA. In fact, many FFL's will probably just tell you to write up a bill of sale. If you are worried that the buyer might be prohibited, just ask to see a LTCF. Anyone who qualified for a LTCF is not prohibited.

(Armstrong County)

I personally do not even consider purchasing a long gun if the seller requires that the sale go through a dealer. It is, in my opinion, completely unnecessary, and an added expense. Of course, the seller is within their rights to require that the rifle/shotgun be transferred.....and I am within my rights to look for someone selling a similar firearm that does not require a transfer.....My 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by sanction762 View Post
    I personally do not even consider purchasing a long gun if the seller requires that the sale go through a dealer. It is, in my opinion, completely unnecessary, and an added expense. Of course, the seller is within their rights to require that the rifle/shotgun be transferred.....and I am within my rights to look for someone selling a similar firearm that does not require a transfer.....My 2 cents worth.
    I would say this post is worth about half of 1 cent. Just my nickle's worth!

CL

(Montgomery County)

Tristan, I too would feel more comfortable making any kind of sale though an FFL, just to make sure my name is removed from the PSP's not-so-secret non-registry list.

Where I disagree with you is that you waited until AFTER negotiating the sale price before disclosing your terms of sale, which are above and beyond that which is required by law. He is upset because he views your action as a bait and switch.

If you had told him upfront it had to be through an FFL up front, he would have factored it into the sales price he offered.

If you insist on using and FFL (and it is your right to do so), you should absorb the fees for doing so.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Tristan, I too would feel more comfortable making any kind of sale though an FFL, just to make sure my name is removed from the PSP's not-so-secret non-registry list.

Where I disagree with you is that you waited until AFTER negotiating the sale price before disclosing your terms of sale, which are above and beyond that which is required by law. He is upset because he views your action as a bait and switch.

If you had told him upfront it had to be through an FFL up front, he would have factored it into the sales price he offered.

If you insist on using and FFL (and it is your right to do so), you should absorb the fees for doing so.
    The PSP database does not include long guns, so it makes no difference.

(Delaware County)

If im selling something and the buyer wants to go through an FFL its on his cost. I wont put up the extra cash but if it makes him more comfortable then im not going to complain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    The PSP database does not include long guns, so it makes no difference.
    Really? I figure they keep track of everything.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Really? I figure they keep track of everything.
    There is no PSP form to fill out for long guns, only a 4473.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    There is no PSP form to fill out for long guns, only a 4473.
    HMMMM, I learn something new every day.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast