Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Something I thought would never happen.... happened tonight

Unfortunately it isn't a "Dear Penthouse letters" kind of happening but it just as surprising....

I got a call on my way home from work asking if I could go to my best friends house to check his brakes. I went over with some tools and sure enough he needs front pads. He went into the house to check the prices online while I was putting the wheels on. His wife (historically raging anti-gun) hands me a beer and says:

Her - Can I talk to you about something?

Me - Sure.. everything alright???

Her - I know we've argued about guns a lot over the years but this thing in CO really has me thinking...

Me - Ok.... (expecting her to attack)

Her - Is it hard to get a gun and permit?

Me - Not really.... are you really gonna let him get a gun????

Her - Well he can get one too... I was talking about me.

Me - WOW!!! I never thought we'd be having this conversation. I will caution you, getting a pistol and a LTCF are the easy part. You will need to spend some time on the range to get proficient enough to be safe...

Her - What kind of gun should I get??? I'm thinking of going to Golden Trigger tomorrow to get one....

Me - Since you've never even held one before... it might be best to get a little experience first... I'd hate for you to go buy one and not like it or ever want to shoot it.

Her - What do you suggest???

Me - I'm coming over tomorrow to do the brakes... I'll bring some guns with me and give you a little Firearms 101. If you are still interested, I'll take you to the range. After you try a few guns in different calibers, I'll go with you to help you with your purchase.

Her - I might be pushing my luck but, would you teach my kids about guns too???

Me - Your son is my God Son... of course I'll help in anyway I can... but I'm gonna want something in return.

Her - Oh no... I'm almost afraid to ask

Me - I get to take my niece and nephew out to buy them BB guns like I did for all of my other nieces and nephews....

Her - Deal...

This is a HUGE step for her. My buddy told me afterwards that she has been really freaked out over the movie theater attack. He was more shocked than I was when he found out she talked to me about it.

I'll be sure to update this post as this develops....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Something I thought would never happen.... happened tonight

Wow ! You handled that in the best way possible.IMO. Congratulations,on helping out the new gun owners to be.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Westmoreland County)

Great story. Several of my friends who have lived their lives sitting on the fence between pro and anti have been making purchase inquiries, etc. from me in the wake of the Colorado tragedy.

(Monroe County)

Flawless victory!
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

Wow. What a complete turn around. I think it's fascinating that she could really think through all her past emotional reactions and really put her mind to it with a bit of motivation like what happened in Aurora.

Just as cool that you could have past 'discussions' with her while still (obviously) managing to keep the conversation open and not trash the relationship. A tough balance, sometimes.

Rep sent. Well done.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Unfortunately it isn't a "Dear Penthouse letters" kind of happening but it just as surprising....

I got a call on my way home from work asking if I could go to my best friends house to check his brakes. I went over with some tools and sure enough he needs front pads. He went into the house to check the prices online while I was putting the wheels on. His wife (historically raging anti-gun) hands me a beer and says:

Her - Can I talk to you about something?

Me - Sure.. everything alright???

Her - I know we've argued about guns a lot over the years but this thing in CO really has me thinking...

Me - Ok.... (expecting her to attack)

Her - Is it hard to get a gun and permit?

Me - Not really.... are you really gonna let him get a gun????

Her - Well he can get one too... I was talking about me.

Me - WOW!!! I never thought we'd be having this conversation. I will caution you, getting a pistol and a LTCF are the easy part. You will need to spend some time on the range to get proficient enough to be safe...

Her - What kind of gun should I get??? I'm thinking of going to Golden Trigger tomorrow to get one....

Me - Since you've never even held one before... it might be best to get a little experience first... I'd hate for you to go buy one and not like it or ever want to shoot it.

Her - What do you suggest???

Me - I'm coming over tomorrow to do the brakes... I'll bring some guns with me and give you a little Firearms 101. If you are still interested, I'll take you to the range. After you try a few guns in different calibers, I'll go with you to help you with your purchase.

Her - I might be pushing my luck but, would you teach my kids about guns too???

Me - Your son is my God Son... of course I'll help in anyway I can... but I'm gonna want something in return.

Her - Oh no... I'm almost afraid to ask

Me - I get to take my niece and nephew out to buy them BB guns like I did for all of my other nieces and nephews....

Her - Deal...

This is a HUGE step for her. My buddy told me afterwards that she has been really freaked out over the movie theater attack. He was more shocked than I was when he found out she talked to me about it.

NICE! We seem to be getting more stories like this lately. It's a shame it takes a tragedy to wake people up. Props to you for your patience and the part you played.

(Perry County)

I wonder how many people have looked at the police response time of one and a half minutes and figured out the truth. They will not be able to save you even with an extremely rapid response.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post

Without conducting an interrogation, you should try to find out specifically what switched her view. There have been plenty of other shootings, why this one?

Whatever propelled her onto our side of the fence could be a game changer for others as well. Maybe something we don't even see because we're already on this side of the fence.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Wow. What a complete turn around. I think it's fascinating that she could really think through all her past emotional reactions and really put her mind to it with a bit of motivation like what happened in Aurora.

Just as cool that you could have past 'discussions' with her while still (obviously) managing to keep the conversation open and not trash the relationship. A tough balance, sometimes.

Rep sent. Well done.
    Thanks... Keeping the relationship civil has been a challenge. Her husband and I have been best friends since 6th grade (more than 30 years ago). I do have to admit, I'm glad I bit my tongue a few times...
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

Very well done, having women become more involved in the defense of the home is very good news!
    NRA Life Member, HK USP C 9mm, Beretta 92 FS, Ruger SR22

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast