Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Thinking of Building an AR any input?

I'm thinking about building an AR15, I'm trying to do some homework on the different options but there is so much info out there...

So what say you PAFOA, anything I should keep an eye out for, anything to avoid??

I'll most likely be building this slowly and accumulating parts as able, if there were to be any new assault weapon ban reinstated as long as I have the lower the rest should still be available right??

Thanks for the info I'm new to the dark side (my other rifles are steel and wood!)
    Last edited by DoubleSawbuck; July 27th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: Thinking of Building an AR any input?

High capacity magazines and threaded barrels will be the first things to go, if you're worried about getting something that will be hard to get get those items first.

EDR
    Every day's a Saturday

(Montgomery County)

Nothing is more satisfying than building your own rifle. Make sure that you buy quality tools to get the job done right and watch instructional videos before you actually start the build. It is a lot in upfront costs but that's why you're just going to have to build more lowers so that you get your money's worth.

In terms of lowers, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one these days but they all vary in terms of fit and finish. It will primarily come down to to the rollmark and what you want on the side of your mag well. If it the logo isn't important to you, you can score a lower for around $80. I personally like Primary Weapons System's rollmark and snatched up a few of them before they stopped selling stripped lowers. I've also built some rifles using Stag lowers which are also pretty nice. Not too long ago, some folks got burned with CMMG lowers that had tight magwells. The distributor failed to let the FFL know that they were "blemished" lowers and a lot of buyers were upset. Make sure you know what you're getting.

Purchase a quality lower parts kit (LPK). I buy mine from White Oak Armament (WOA). If this is your first build, you might want to buy two kits (minus the FCG and pistol grip). I lost a spring or two when putting together my first build and I had to wait a few days for replacement parts.

(Wayne County)

Hey Sawbuck, what kind of AR are you looking to build? A military style carbine, sporting carbine, A2/A4 style rifle, SPR ( special purpose rifle) for long range? That will help narrow down some of the options

If you are going defensive carbine

Barrel : Palmetto State Armory has a barrel for $150 or so made by FN herstal that is 100% milspec 1/7 twist 4150 CMV steel, that would be my choice. You also choose your Gas system there at the barrel selection point, mid length seems to be the way things are going. It adds 2" to the gas tube and allows you to run a longer hand guard to mount anything you'll need. If you want a standard front sight post/gas block you can use 9" handguards or you can run a lo pro gas block and get any of the new modular forends or rail systems from 12" to 15".

Upper: You can find blemed ( cosmetic) uppers from places like Bravo Company USA for as little as $79. A place like that also has very high quality bolt carrier groups. It's worth it to spend your money on a great BCG and barrel as that will help your gun last and be reliable through not hundreds but thousands and thousands of rounds

LPKs are available from Spikes tactical and others. USGI triggers are fine for most purposes, if you can afford it go Geissle SSA< spelling LOL

Lower: Spikes tactical and PSA are common places to look for stripped lowers. CMMG has had alot of problems recently for tight magwells that wont drop USGI or P mags.

Tools, you will need to get some tools,roll pin punches, a vice adaptor for your receivers and an armorers wrench for the castle nut and barrel nut. Among other things Remember to factor that into your budget

I'm sure I'll think of some other suggestions.......let us know where you are going
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; July 26th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Bucks County)

So many choices.. I'm thinking probably military carbine. Something for home defense and plinking at the range. Something simple.

If I build one it will probably be a slow project picking up pieces as I go along.

I'll see if I can locate a stripped lower locally if not I'll have to order one online.
    Last edited by DoubleSawbuck; July 27th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.