Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Explain to me why so many people feel Glocks are unsafe

I am fairly new to firearms (just started shooting in March) and am trying to learn as much as I possibly can and see time and time again people joking about shooting yourself with Glocks, ADs while holstering, etc.

Now, I understand there is no thumb safety nor a grip safety ... only that split trigger they use.

But wouldnt the same hold true for the M&P with its hinged trigger (negating the model with the thumb safety) - and if so, why do people not complain about them like Glocks (perhaps just to bash on Glocks?). Im sure there are others that fit the same description, its just this model comes to mind since I recently purchased one

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Explain to me why so many people feel Glocks are unsafe

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    I am fairly new to firearms (just started shooting in March) and am trying to learn as much as I possibly can and see time and time again people joking about shooting yourself with Glocks, ADs while holstering, etc.

Now, I understand there is no thumb safety nor a grip safety ... only that split trigger they use.

But wouldnt the same hold true for the M&P with its hinged trigger (negating the model with the thumb safety) - and if so, why do people not complain about them like Glocks (perhaps just to bash on Glocks?). Im sure there are others that fit the same description, its just this model comes to mind since I recently purchased one
    Glocks are popular and make a easy target. Also to allot of people gun=glock given their use in mainstream entertainment.

Also the M&P can be ordered with a manual safety.

(Indiana County)

I feel just as safe with my Glock's as my 1911's actually safer because when I carry my 1911 I hardly ever carry it with hammer locked back and safety on I usually carry it with hammer down and safety off (not the fastest route but that's why I hardly ever carry a 1911). If my Glock is in it's holster there is nothing that is going to set it off. If it is out of the holster the only thing that is going to set it off is my finger and that is not on the trigger until I intend to pull the trigger.

(Luzerne County)

Because they are different than your Granddaddy's revolver and your Daddy's 1911.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    Because they are different than your Granddaddy's revolver and your Daddy's 1911.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Glocks are popular and make a easy target. Also to allot of people gun=glock given their use in mainstream entertainment.
    ^ Yep. I also think it is a symptom of our society in general. People like to blame objects and other people for their own mistakes.

The reality is that the only thing responsible for what you do is you. Not the gun, not the holster, not your child, not "they system".

(York County)

Truthfully, I'm not a Glock guy. I think they're hideous, awkward, and I can't stand DAO triggers.

But, I am an engineering student, and from that perspective, the Glock is a masterpiece of mechanical engineering. The number of parts comprising a Glock is almost half that of a 1911, or my beloved CZ-75. Those parts are also designed with computerized machining in mind, which also helps account for their solid out-of-the-box operation and excellent manufacturing tolerances. This is also why this gun has created an industry-wide spawn of what I call "Glock-alike's" (Ruger SR-series, HS-2000, S&W M&P, Taurus PT-24/7, etc).

But, yeah, when something becomes popular, there is bound to be backlash, mostly by people who think that being a Contrarian makes them cool. Having fired my fair share of .45 ACP rounds through a Glock 21, I find it perplexing that anyone can find them less safe than anything else-- even with a trigger job, there is still plenty of conscious effort required by the shooter to make one of those things go off!

(Bucks County)

Perhaps because, for better or worse, they seem to attract a large number of owners who are unsafe, and manage to do unsafe things that that hit the national media.

(Allegheny County)

Because they are black and sexy and that scares white America!

(Cumberland County)

Mainly because Glock is one of the biggest and most popular. Like anything else, the biggest gets the attention good or bad whether it's guns, banks, retail stores, etc.. Glocks and guns like them don't have safeties, so they are not as "safe", so owners need to use common sense and most important, no matter what anyone tells them, "they" need to feel comfortable and competant carrying a gun without a safety!

(Northumberland County)

Glocks are like the Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys. People either love them or HATE them passionately.

Glocks are not to blame for ADs, it's those damn SERPA holsters. HE HE HE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast