Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Open Carry to a Job Interview? Good idea or bad idea?

I've read news stories of people being mugged anywhere and everywhere, even a retired LEO robbed at gun point while mowing his lawn. Therefore I believe in being armed everywhere you go. I have a job interview today. The store has no signs prohibiting firearms. I'll be walking there but it will take over an hour for the trek. I won't be able to put it in my car if they ask since I don't have one.

I do not want to CC. I also do not want to make the walk there and back without being armed. What should I do?
    Not to be confused with PAFOA member John Doe from Montgomery County, PA

Default Re: Open Carry to a Job Interview? Good idea or bad idea?

If I wasn't a firearm enthusiast, I probably wouldn't hire you if you OCed to an interview. I say CC and get a better chance to be hired. JMHO.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    If I wasn't a firearm enthusiast, I probably wouldn't hire you if you OCed to an interview. I say CC and get a better chance to be hired. JMHO.
    GOOD ADVISE^^^^
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

(Montgomery County)

Obviousely it depends on the type of job you applying for. If it is in a gun shop, maybe, but otherwise its a bad idea.

The fact that a store does not have a sign does not mean that they allow thir employees to carry a firearm, infact the odds of that happening are very slim.

You obviousely have a choice to make.

Good luck with your decision.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    I have to agree with this. Even though a store may not have a sign up for customers a lot of them do have rules against carry in their handbook for employees, so OC could be vewied negatively. I say CC for the interview.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

(Washington County)

Maybe the sweat pouring off of you after your hour long walk in 90 degree weather will distract them from your OC'd firearm.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Doe View Post
    I've read news stories of people being mugged anywhere and everywhere, even a retired LEO robbed at gun point while mowing his lawn. Therefore I believe in being armed everywhere you go. I have a job interview today. The store has no signs prohibiting firearms. I'll be walking there but it will take over an hour for the trek. I won't be able to put it in my car if they ask since I don't have one.

I do not want to CC. I also do not want to make the walk there and back without being armed. What should I do?
    Depends how bad you want/need the job. Like it or not OC is going to stick out like a sore thumb at the interview and will be something the employer will note. The interviewer will look at your qualifications, but they look at other things also. Noserings, tattoos, the way you dress, the way you talk, the way you present yourself. OC is making a major statement during a job interview. Even someone who is Pro Guns might question your choice to do so during an interview.

If I needed/really wanted a job I would not OC. To much of a chance that it would raise red flags and cost me the job.

So do you need/care if you get the job? Are you willing to take the chance that it may cost you the job? There's always the small chance that the owner is an OC himself, but is it worth it to you?
    Last edited by internet troll; July 26th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Doe View Post

I'm not going to tell you what to do but, I wouldn't OC to a job interview, EVER. Chances are, nothing good will come of it.

I'm an advocate of OC, and I do OC myself. I also believe there is a time and place. What defines that "time and place" is up to the individual. MY definition of a place for OC doesn't include a job interview. Reason being, I'm going there to talk to a guy/gal about a job, not to debate the RKBA, the tactical advantages/disadvantages of OC vs CC, or my choice in firearms.

My advice to you is, CC or leave it at home.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Washington County)

OP, can we assume that CC is not an option?
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    OP, can we assume that CC is not an option?
    Yes. I will have a shirt and tie. But, I will not wear my black suit jacket (the only one I have) over my tucked in dress shirt to CC because I want to make it there without collapsing from dehydration during the hour plus walk over.
    Not to be confused with PAFOA member John Doe from Montgomery County, PA

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast