Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Thooughts on why the US majority opposes stricter gun laws

"In 1990, Gallup reported almost 80 percent support for the proposition that gun laws should become “more strict.” By 2010, though, just 44 percent of Americans wanted stricter gun laws, compared to 54 percent who opposed them."

This opinion piece discusses several possible reasons:
    1. Democrats were spooked by the '94 Republican wins and by the NRA's power and have left the field.
    2. TV news has convinced people that crime is increasing and they need guns to protect themselves.
    3. Because crime has actually declined since 1990, there is less need for gun control. In addition, people recognize that gun laws may not really reduce crime and certainly do not deter mass murderers.
    4. Rights-based arguments are prevailing over communitarian appeals--more public support for gay marriage, legal marijuana and the Second Amendment all.

It's an interesting column. I do see a lot of validity in #4, and of course I see lots of ##1 and 2. Not so much of #3--that's too rational a thought!

Full column.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Thooughts on why the US majority opposes stricter gun laws

I think(and I have nothing to back this up other than my gut) it might have something to do with the growth of the internet.

It allows for:

People can get unbiased news and information(getting away from the oligopoly of the local news sources).

People can share ideas, news and information with each other(this forum is a great example).

People can see the big picture(if you see strict gun controls have the opposite effect of what is promised, you might change you mind).

It also allows for better choice in what, how, and where to buy. Going to a gun store for the first time uninformed could have been a big deterrent to some.

The left seems hell bent on proving themselves wrong. They spout garbage about how gun control is needed, but let their cities fall into near chaos. (see bloomberg as an excellent example of one of these useless gasbags) If you mayor/governor/dictator enacts many gun control laws in the name of safety, then watches as things get worse, you might figure out he/she is a moron full of bull "rhetoric." Especially if you can easily see data showing more conservative gun control areas not suffering from the same problems.

The AWB didn't work and the information on the internet proves it. How many times can the same lies be believed?

It the end, we will probably never know. I am just happy that we are headed in the right direction(at least on this issue).

(Adams County)

We're in a time where people do not trust the media, elected public officials, or the government as a whole.

It stands to reason that when people are feeling the pinch and unease financially and of society, they don't want ANY new restrictions of anything.

When times improve, and the economy is good and the people are pretty much fat dumb and happy with little to worry about, that's when it will be much easier for the left to pass new restrictions.

If they don't back door them before that, of course.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Bucks County)

Guns have gone mainstream because of the internet and tv, and people realize how much fun they are.