Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Is this a good time Handgun Reciprocity Bill

Wouldn't this be a good time to bring the Senate together and let them vote to pass the Handgun Reciprocity Bill?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Is this a good time Handgun Reciprocity Bill

Maybe, but probably not. I think it would come across as extremely insensitive and like we are now the ones trying to exploit tragedies for our political gain.

Also, right now I think this is like throwing gas on a fire. It would probably blow up one way or the other. It would either pass or fail spectacularly. I don't want to bet on a bunch of politicians to cast an objective vote on national carry right after the Colorado incident.

Also, how many people in the theater do you think had CCPs and were not from Colorado? Unless the number is fairly significant, I don't think this incident can practically be used to argue for a national carry permit. Sure, it could be argued that the potential to prevent such an incident exists but I doubt the argument could be made for much more. Even with this, if Colorado allows theaters to prohibit carrying on their property the national carry permit as I understand it would not have overruled the theater's authority to prohibit firearms on their property.

(Northampton County)

From what I've read, you cannot carry in a movie theatre in Colorado anyway. Legally, anyway. As always, the person behind the reason for gun-control attempts paid no attention to the law to begin with.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikem132 View Post
    From what I've read, you cannot carry in a movie theatre in Colorado anyway. Legally, anyway. As always, the person behind the reason for gun-control attempts paid no attention to the law to begin with.
    From Nationally Recognized Academic and Firearms author - John Lott ...

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/

The movie theatre was not a statutory gun-free zone. The exception for secure “public” buildings applies to buildings owned or managed by a public entity, not to all buildings accessible by the general public. Private business owners who invite the public onto their own premises can set their own policies: “Nothing in this part 2 [establishing the scope and limits of a Colorado concealed carry permit] shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.” Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 18-12-214(5).
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 27th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikem132 View Post
    That was the theater owner's policy, not Colorado state law.