Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Sportsmans Supply Co. Butler, PA Bad CS

There are a few threads about this place, but nothing recent so I'll post one.

NOTHING SHORT OF THE POINT OF A GUN WILL EVER MAKE ME SPEND MONEY THERE AGAIN

Rude customer no-service, arrogant employees, incorrect information.

I needed a FFL to transfer 2 pistols I was receiving in a swap with another PAFOA member and called around to various FFLs near Butler. SSC was open during the schedule window for both of us, easy to locate, and while the telephone quote price of $35 for a transfer seemed a tad high it seemed alright on balance with the other factors.

Met the PAFOA member at the store, went inside, filled out the paper work, and browsed around while the counter kid ran the approvals.

‘Twenty-something’ behind the counter kept telling me that I had to fill out application for transfer space #24 (Employer Name) with something other than “N/A” and that “N/A” was ‘illegal’. If that is the case then there are about 8 FFLs that will be raided by the ATF because that is how I always fill that space out. Considering that two of the other FFLs are LEOs, I’m pretty damn sure I’m right.

About 15 minutes later he told us they were approved. The bill would be $50+ tax. WTH?? No, I told him that yesterday over the telephone I was told $35 and that there ‘might’ be a extra fee of a few dollars more since it was multiple handguns. I told ‘twenty-something’ this and he told me I wasn’t told that. The $35 fee was for ‘out of store from another store’ transfer fee, and that he charged me twice because it was two PICS checks. I asked him to tell his boss I wasn’t happy about this and I swear this the employee's response, “He’s over there, he can hear you, and he doesn’t care.”

Screw that, screw them, and anyone I see that asks about transfers or gun shops will be directed far away from this clip joint with lousy customer service.
    Last edited by PAOhio; July 21st, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Sportsmans Supply Co. Butler, PA Bad CS

If you need another reason not to go there,

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/1717...ml#post2026643

Post # 37.

I think he means that you have to treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

I was at a local gunshop with the hubby because he wanted a pocket gun.

There a a gentleman there checking out a gun. He pointed it at me more than once. I said , "Do you mind, I would appreciate it if you did not point that gun at me."

He said "It's not loaded. " Pointed the gun at me and pulled the trigger to prove his point, and then said, "See."

I let loose with a lot of very un-lady like language, smacked his arm away and got the hell out of there. As I was leaving I heard someone commenting to the man, "Dude, that's not cool."

If it happens again, I will pull my weapon, point it at him and tell him "Mine is, put the gun down." I will then call the police.

I'm tired of assholes. I don't think he would have done this if I were a man. I got that vibe off of him.

This happened at Sportsman Supply. The staff said nothing to that A-hole.

(Clarion County)

Sad to hear that. There's an offshoot of their store bout 30 miles north in East Brady called Sportman's Shack. It's a really decent place to deal with. Same guy every time I've been there, helpful and knowledgeable. Knows what he doesn't know, enjoy going there. As good as prices as anywhere in the area. Small and no where near the stock in Butler, but all the basics for reloading I need. Got a couple guns there, prices were competitive. Have also left shops from Aholes sweeping the area from the counter.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Indiana County)

I've been in Sportsmans Supply a few times now, almost every time I leave and say never again. Never had a gun pointed at me in there, saw plenty of boneheaded things though.

Last time I stopped they were having plumbing problems, it ended up as a VERY short stop.

(Westmoreland County)

I stopped in Saturday because they had a couple Sig 2022's I wanted to look at that were priced to sell. After 30 minutes of not even getting a "I'll be right with you sir," I decided I'd rather spend a few bucks more somewhere where I wasn't ignored. I was looking at getting a Sig 2022 with a laser sight, plus was going to pick up a Mosin they had in decent shape for 89.99. Now I'll go spend my money elsewhere.

(Lehigh County)

As far as I know, the employer section is not optional. I've been informed by more than one shop that those fields could not be ignored.

Not 'optional' I printed "N/A" as in 'not applicable'. Every 4473/PICS I've done for the last decade or so has had this answer. Only the twenty-something counter monkey at SSC even gave me crap about it.

On my very recent concealed carry renewal I printed "N/A" in those fields and caught no grief for it.

(Mercer County)

We always suggest that the customer put unemployed, disables or retired IF THATS HOW THEY EARN THEIR MONEY. We have never gotten any grief from the PSP. We have had customers put "N/A" and it wasn't a problem but every store has a different policy.
    Last edited by ChrisUSMC; July 24th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

(Beaver County)

Only been there once,went there after being ignored at another area shop,and was treated well. No guns pointed in my direction and waited on when it was my turn.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Butler County)

Since I live just about 2 miles from them I stop once in awhile. Always leave kicking myself for stopping.

They need to replace most of the staff and reinvest some money in the actual store. I've been in Butler since 1974 and it's the same today as it was 40 years ago. Not sure if it's even been cleaned.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast