Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default M6X or crimson grips?

I hear the best weapon light with a laser is the insight M6X, anyone have a take on this vs. the crimson trace grip laser?

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: M6X or crimson grips?

I have a set of Crimson trace grips on my Nighthawk. Dead on and generally cried as "unfair" at the range by my shooting buddies. Have not used the M6X.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: M6X or crimson grips?

I don't know if the M6X is the best combo unit available but comparing the two are apples and oranges. The CT's don't require anything special in the way of a holster as would the weapon mounted light though a 1911 with an ambi safety requires relieving the starboard side paddle. The lasers do have some utility and in the CT format are unobtrusive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock22xd9 View Post
    I hear the best weapon light with a laser is the insight M6X
    That's only if you want a high probability of your light falling off of your gun when you shoot it. Take a look at the Streamlight TLR series. although I see no need for a laser as some people tend to look for the laser and use it, instead of the sights on the handgun. The only time I would consider having a laser, isif I was a LEO, as lasers are wonderful deterrents.
    Last edited by JustinM; January 8th, 2007 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    That's only if you want a high probability of your light falling off of your gun when you shoot it. Take a look at the Streamlight TLR series. although I see no need for a laser as some people tend to look for the laser and use it, instead of the sights on the handgun. The only time I would consider having a laser, isif I was a LEO, as lasers are wonderful deterrents.
    I agree that I am not one for advocating a "Captain Laser" on firearms. It's just not my thing.

However, although lasers can be a 'deterrent', they can also give away your position just as sure as a flashlight or strobe light would. IMHO, if I was a LEO I would definately not get a laser.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDevil View Post
    they can also give away your position just as sure as a flashlight or strobe light would. IMHO, if I was a LEO I would definately not get a laser.

Yes, they would, alot of people tend to shoot at the lights during lowlight FOF training, but what's worse, being able to illuminate your target and identify him/her, Or not being able to see your target at all? I have found having a weaponlight, and a handheld in your loadout is a great idea.

From a Law Enforcement Officer in Indiana
    Your laser has performed exceptionally well for many years. It has turned a potential gun battle and hostage situation to a quick and easy surrender, just by point the laser at the offender. I guess the offender had no doubt where my bullet was going if I fired. Your laser system is truly worth its weight in gold. Several of my co-workers are still amazed by the laser’s ability to be invisible until activated and no special holsters needed. – Off. Michael Smith, East Chicago PD, IN

From an Officer in Alabama

I am a Police Officer and was dispatched on a fight between a father and son. On June 13, 2000, myself and two other officers responded. Upon arrival I saw a man standing in the front yard of his residence. He was holding a 30/30 lever action rifle. While en route to the scene, the dispatcher advised us of shots fired. I knew the suspect had the ability to shoot through my patrol car door.

I ordered the suspect to drop the weapon, he ignored my commands. I carry a .40 caliber Glock with a LaserMax gunsight. When I activated my laser, he immediately laid his gun down. He was then taken into custody and his gun seized. I have had one of your products in three of my duty weapons. I have used it on many different situations. I strongly believe it has saved me from having to go all the way in employing deadly force. I hope if I ever have to draw my weapon again, your product will serve as a deterrent then, also. I recommend any and all Law Enforcement personnel to have this life saving tool in their arsenal of deterrents to deadly force.

Straight from Lasermax's testimonials

http://www.lasermax.com/CustomerStories/index.php
    Last edited by JustinM; January 8th, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Thumbs up Re: M6X or crimson grips?

I actually have to agree with the light/laser for LEO use and also for HD purposes.

In average cases when LEOs are on scene the BG allready knows they are there, and without the light mounted on the gun they'll use thier flashlight in the modified weaver stance, this has some advantages as you will basicly have a club, but the drawback is only having one hand one your gun, this may casue less support for the firing hand which could effect accuracy and retention.

As far as giving away your position, I think the LEOs that need to worry about that are the the guys SWAT/ERU guys, and even then after the doors are rammed in, the tear gas is speweing, the BG know's they're there.

In a HD situation, identifying your target is definately needed, you don't want to shoot the wrong person.

That and as soon as the BG gets the light on him, it will probably startle him, giving you a little bit more of an edge, and as noted above the red dot of death is a sobering tool to have on your side.

Personally, I would go with a combination of the Crimson Trace grips that can reamain on my pistol at all times (even in my standard IWB holster) and have a light that I can add/remove when needed.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."