Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PICS vs. NICS

(Lancaster County)

Question PICS vs. NICS

A question came up the other day while discussing gun stuff with friends that I didn't know the answer to: what does PICS cover in its background checking other than simply calling the NICS number and charging money for doing so? Are there other things that they look at or have access to, and if so, what?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PICS vs. NICS

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    A question came up the other day while discussing gun stuff with friends that I didn't know the answer to: what does PICS cover in its background checking other than simply calling the NICS number and charging money for doing so? Are there other things that they look at or have access to, and if so, what?
    PICS also checks state and local databases for arrests, convictions, and mental prohibitors. Stuff that doesn't always make it to the federal databases.

Presently NICS is incorporating state level prohibitors, like PA's 6105. Prior to this recent incorporation, NICS couldn't deny a person on state prohibitors. Thus is why PICS was required.

All other states that had state prohibitors also had to use a POCS arrangement, or drop their state prohibitors to use NICS.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Interesting. Any clue as to how often the info in the state databases refreshes? Say for the sake of example someone gets wrongly charged for a prohibiting offense but 3-4 months later gets the charge dropped, how soon would such a person be in the clear?
    Last edited by Yellowfin; July 17th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Westmoreland County)

Interesting. Any clue as to how often the info in the state databases refreshes? Say for the sake of example someone gets wrongly charged for a prohibiting offense but 3-4 months later gets the charge dropped, how soon would such a person be in the clear?
    The charge may take some time if it ever comes off. It may need to be investigated with a challenge form after a PICS denial. The system sure isn't perfect lol...
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Lancaster County)

Is there a way to run a PICS check to find out without purchasing a firearm to be able to spot a denial ahead of time, like paying for a state police background check the same way you would a credit report prior to applying for a mortgage? I do tax returns as a side job and I've run into a LOT of people who were victims of identity theft and that can result in getting tagged with nasty stuff undeservedly by someone using their DOB and/or SSN. Can the records be challenged without a purchase denial? From what I've gathered from a buddy of mine getting denied can mean the police getting called and the person being denied getting tackled and cuffed in front of people. Another concern is of course that IIRC some states' CCW apps ask if the applicant has ever been denied sale of a firearm with a Yes answer disqualifying.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; July 23rd, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Is there a way to run a PICS check to find out without purchasing a firearm to be able to spot a denial ahead of time, like paying for a state police background check the same way you would a credit report prior to applying for a mortgage?
    Absolutely not. PICS/NICS shall only be used for transfer of firearms and issuance of permits/licenses - it is federal law.

If there is questionable history, one should check into the PA Dockets or have their PA criminal history researched via the PSP's PATCH system.

If there is something from out of state, then inquiries must be made with the state in which the proceedings were held.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Westmoreland County)

Correct. FFL definitely can't run a PICS on someone unless there is a 4473 filled out for a customer who is buying a gun.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Clearfield County)

If I got denied on pics challenge for one thing. Is that the only thing I have to worry about for purchasing a firearm? I recently got denied for conceal carry so will nics find something else? Pics challenge listed only one thing and that was being hospitalized.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rcf1023 View Post
    If I got denied on pics challenge for one thing. Is that the only thing I have to worry about for purchasing a firearm? I recently got denied for conceal carry so will nics find something else? Pics challenge listed only one thing and that was being hospitalized.
    Technically all involuntary commitments should be added to federal databases, some slip through the cracks. If you are denied in PA for a involuntary commitment, you are prohibited nationwide because it is a federal prohibitor.

(Clearfield County)

Knight0334 thank you for your response. I am just wondering that if that was the only thing I have to clear myself of according to pics and nics may have other possibilities or denial. I am currently working with an attorney and want to know what hoops I have to jump through and pay for to clear my name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast