Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Noticed that my Chinese Ithaca was a lot smoother then 500.

Noticed that my Chinese Ithaca was a lot smoother the Mossy 500! I don't know why but that is true maybe its just the way the Ithacas are made or maybe the Chinese did such a good job of mimmicking but the Mossy feels clunky and nearly brand new compared to the CI. They have about the same amount of rounds through them but the CI so much smoother in function.
    They shoot the same accuarcy. if it wasn't for the Mossy being a 7 or 8 shot Shotgun I'd take the (5 shot) IC over it if there was a bug out problem.

Anybody else compared these two shotguns? Or know why the IC is smoother than a Brand name?
    Last edited by Neko456; July 17th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

Default Re: Noticed that my Chinese Ithaca was a lot smoother then 500.

No help on the Ithica/Mossy, but I can say my Hawk 982 feels much better than the current production Remington 870 Express. Damn commie chinks, how dare they arm us with better weapons for less money!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    No help on the Ithica/Mossy, but I can say my Hawk 982 feels much better than the current production Remington 870 Express. Damn commie chinks, how dare they arm us with better weapons for less money!
    Take a Rem 870 express apart and you'll see what it feels the way it does. The first thing I did after I got mine home was tear it down and smoothed out all the rough spots, changed out the MIM extractor, sear spring and carrier dog follower spring from the 870 Police model, also replaced the safety, follower & spring with Wilson Combat components, applied some LCP, reassembled and cycled a few hundred times. All can be had from Midway for around $50 with the ar coupon codes. Feels like a different gun now

-Mike

Thats the problem it takes all that to make a Brand name shotgun the equal to a clone. Operation wise the CI seems superior if not for the Mossy 500 more rounds in chamber and ammo sling the CI would be my choice in the Sh%^. Of course since it is suited out better the Mossy is how I'll roll but its close the CI is so smooth.

(Beaver County)

Smoother than a Mossberg isn't saying a lot. I have a 590A1 and as far as function is concerned, there's no doubting that it works BUT I wouldn't use smooth to describe it. While we're on the subject of lesser-known shotguns, I played with a Stevens 320 at a gun show a while back and it felt pretty damn good. Didn't buy it though because they wanted above MSRP.

(Schuylkill County)

I have a Norinco Hawk 982, a Mossy 500, and a Rem 870, The norinco is the smoothest cycling of the three. But with that said I would never choose it over my Mossberg 500, that is my go to gun for everything.
    Respect Few.....Fear None

(Lancaster County)

I have one of the Norinco M37's. Great shotun for the price. You can beat them up and they still function fine. Now it's not a super smooth gun and wasnt designed to be. If you want that go spend the extra money for a nice remington or winchester. For a shotgun that you dont have to worry about if you drop it or beat it up Norinco is the way to go. I picked mine up a couple of years ago for $150 and its my favorite shotun in the safe.
    No longer posting