Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Hard Chromed Yugo M-57's

Hey Guys,

I posted in the classified section for one of the Classic Arms Yugo M-57 Tokarev's, (In hard Chrome) that they had a couple of years ago, (With no soap so far!) I Really wanted one at the time
    but the bank account said "No..... what, are you kidding"! Anyway after checking here (first) and hours spent searching the Internet (to no avail!), I have decided to make my own...

I found these at J&G Sales:

http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-tokarev-...l?cartadd=true

They are listed as : "Gunsmith Specials" So I am rolling the dice some... but for $179.99 + shipping, I am willing to be a betting man! (Only 3 left as of 07/14/12, 2030 Hours) They are listed as C&R too....
    so that is a plus for me!

I am going to try Mahovsky's (here in PA), for the plating... their price is listed as $155 for pistols.... which is pretty low according to the internet.... I have seen as much as $300 for pistols! While I am
    sure they are worth it... this is not a Purdy Shotgun... a good yoeman like finish is all I ask! I was even thinking of Duracoating... but have had mixed result doing my own. I do have a PPK that I had
    Hard Chromed like 15 Years ago... and it still looks like brand new (At Behlerts.... those WERE the days!) I have never used Mahovsky's... but others have recommended them.... so there is a first time
    for everything!

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/

I don't expect this gun to be a work of art... just a decent shooter... and kind of an unusual piece. One day.... I will have desires... AND money at the same time!!! (Probably not... but a nice thought!).
    I figure even with shipping I will be under $400.... barring disasters.... Not as good as the $280 Classic had 'em for... but ya snooze, ya lose!!!

I'll post pic's when I get her in, and when I get the finish done!

Fred
    Last edited by 1096369fred; July 14th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Hard Chromed Yugo M-57's

You can't go wrong with Mahovsky's - he is great. Not the easiest to get to return emails, but great work and quick. Posting a pic of my CZ82 below that went from surplus to "metalife beauty" after coming back from him! If I can make one suggestion, why go $179 for a gunsmith special from J&G when you can go $199 for a nice one from Aim. Both companies are great, I've bought from both - but I'd pay the extra $20 and go with a "non" gunsmith special from Aim

Here's my CZ-82 that Mahovsky's did :

(Indiana County)

That metalife finish looks like the way to go IMO.

Cruzan, how long was the turn around?
    I'm thinking about having a slide done but don't want to be without the gun for too long even though I have plenty of spares.

(Cumberland County)

I had it done about a year ago - and if memory serves me correct, he said up to 30 days but had it back to me in just under 2 weeks ! And the work was flawless - my gunsmith took a look at it and was very impressed. Every part done inside and out including one magazine!

(Montgomery County)

dude, classic arms has m57's for $209. not a 'gunsmith special'. pure cosmoline goodness.

(Indiana County)

Ok, thanks.

Going on my to do list.

(Montgomery County)

oh sorry, cruzans right, $199 at aim.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    oh sorry, cruzans right, $199 at aim.
    Both good prices, but I would only deal with Classic as the last resort - they are the pits - all because of that one Bit*# that could give two shits about anything! Sad, I hear before the previous owner left, Classic was very good. Amazing what one person can do to a company.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Both good prices, but I would only deal with Classic as the last resort - they are the pits - all because of that one Bit*# that could give two shits about anything! Sad, I hear before the previous owner left, Classic was very good. Amazing what one person can do to a company.
    I actually dealt with classic twice in last two monts, first time they messed up on packaging. I emailed the customer support and was offered free hand pick and shipping for next purhchase. Second time I got cz82, but second mag came with bent plate. I emailed the customer support and got free mag.
    Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think they are trying to fix the bed rep they were getting.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

FWIW , BATF import regs demanded that a manual safety be added to these pistols. These are done to varying degrees of quality but are all "in the way''. On my Polish version , I removed the lever and TiG-welded the hole shut and removed all traces before having mine glassbeaded and parkerized.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast