Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: About New Jersey and Transporting/Carrying To PA

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    3 years later... have there been any court cases or opinions from government lawyers about this decade old debate?
    What's the debate? Firearms are illegal to carry, transport or possess in NJ unless you meet very narrow exceptions.

(Northampton County)

The debate was if FOPA covered interconnecting states. For example, could someone from NJ travel under FOPA to PA to go to the shooting range.
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

The debate was if FOPA covered interconnecting states. For example, could someone from NJ travel under FOPA to PA to go to the shooting range.
    Im pretty sure FOPA only applies to intermediate states, not the beginning or destination of your trip. You must be within the law of your originating state, and within the law of your destination.

(Jefferson County)

FOPA only covers the intermediate states. The firearm and possession must be legal in the beginning and destination states for FOPA to cover the intermediate states.

Since carrying/possession off one's property in NJ is prohibited, except when going to/from range/hunting/gunsmith, or transporting between abode and place of business, or when moving between abodes - you're pretty much fucked for transporting to PA just to carry. You still have to be lawful in possession from your NJ to the PA border.

Then factor in that PA doesn't honor non-resident permits from other states, and then add in the never ending State of Emergency - it practically eliminates any possibility of a NJ resident on carrying in PA.

The only way for a NJ resident to be legal to transport to PA is: Have a license from ANY state to cover transporting in a vehicle while in PA, there be NO State of Emergency, go straight to a range/gunsmith in PA, then go abouts your business in PA and if you get carry openly(stay out of Philly), then to go home you must go back to a range/gunsmith - then go back home to NJ.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    FOPA only covers the intermediate states. The firearm and possession must be legal in the beginning and destination states for FOPA to cover the intermediate states.

Since carrying/possession off one's property in NJ is prohibited, except when going to/from range/hunting/gunsmith, or transporting between abode and place of business, or when moving between abodes - you're pretty much fucked for transporting to PA just to carry. You still have to be lawful in possession from your NJ to the PA border.

Then factor in that PA doesn't honor non-resident permits from other states, and then add in the never ending State of Emergency - it practically eliminates any possibility of a NJ resident on carrying in PA.

The only way for a NJ resident to be legal to transport to PA is: Have a license from ANY state to cover transporting in a vehicle while in PA, there be NO State of Emergency, go straight to a range/gunsmith in PA, then go abouts your business in PA and if you get carry openly(stay out of Philly), then to go home you must go back to a range/gunsmith - then go back home to NJ.
    Thank you. I was wondering if that was still the case since this is one of the first threads that comes up on Google and wanted to make sure the information was still up to date.
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Then factor in that PA doesn't honor non-resident permits from other states,
    I'm aware of the case law regarding PA residents and non-resident licenses, but can you point me towards the basis for your statement that NO non-resident licenses are recognized by PA?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm aware of the case law regarding PA residents and non-resident licenses, but can you point me towards the basis for your statement that NO non-resident licenses are recognized by PA?
    If you go to this map, about 1/2 way down the page you'll see that restriction for PA.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If you go to this map, about 1/2 way down the page you'll see that restriction for PA.
    Thanks. I'm looking for the actual LEGAL basis for it.....ie - case law or AG opinion, etc.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Thanks. I'm looking for the actual LEGAL basis for it.....ie - case law or AG opinion, etc.
    You sure are fussy.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You sure are fussy.
    If I had a nickel for every time someone told me that, I could pay for law school.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast