Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Suprise surprise - Upper Providence MD Court not in compliance in com

i'm dropping off a response to a traffic citation at district court, and what do I find? No signage, no lockers, and two secretaries who look at me sideways when I ask about it.

I'm waiting for a police officer to come back to the administration area so I can ask. We'll see how this turns out...update to come soon.

Edited to add: I spoke to someone at Police Administration, who got a police officer, who told me to talk to Township Administration, who told me to talk to County Administration.

Sometime next week I will go down to the courthouse and see why it takes more than ten years to install two lockers in a lobby.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; July 13th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Suprise surprise - Upper Providence MD Court not in compliance in com

If memory serves you are from Bucks county? Welcome to Delaware county and get yourself ready for Delco politics, remember to take a helmet and some aspirin when you visit the county court house in Media. Lol

How to spot a Delco Courthouse employee . . . They will have a blank look on their face and walk with a very slow pace and seem to have no direction or purpose.

How to spot a Delco Courthouse visitor . . . They will have a purposeful look on their face and walk with a normal or quick pace and seem lost while looking for somebody to ask directions.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Suprise surprise - Upper Providence MD Court not in compliance in com

There is one common pleas judge that oversees all of the magisterial district courts.... that is who you need to get to if you want to effect any change...his word makes things happen.

(Delaware County)

I'm presuming your doing all this typing from a smart phone with voice input? I gotta learn this shit.....

You were literally 2.5 blocks from where I work,,,,, you shoulda stopped in and visited. At least called.....we coulda gone over to DCF&S and shot some. My boss is OK with it.

Last edited by thundrr1; July 13th, 2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added photos....
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

We seriously have to get together on that, man.

Here's an update - today, I was doing some running around on a red light ticket I received a while ago (which I got out of thanks to my dashcam...new thread coming later today about that) and I decided to stop in at the DelCo courthouse to see about finding an answer of who to talk to. After talking to three folks including a Lieutenant with the Sheriff's Office, I finally got the Courts Administrator. After talking to him (and wasting his fucking time, according to his attitude), he recommended that I put in a letter to his officer to start a paper trail, and he'd send it up the chain.

Here's the half-assed letter I put together - if anyone would like to clean it up or give me some recommendations, I would be highly appreciative. I'm not very good at being wordy with lawyers.

I am writing to you in reference to a brief conversation we recently had regarding the lack of compliance of certain Delaware County townships with 18 Pa.C.S. §913(d) and (e), pertaining to “Posting of Notice” and “Facilities for Checking Firearms or other Dangerous Weapons.”

As I mentioned to you in our meeting, it has come to my attention from personal experience that the Magesterial District Court in Upper Providence Township does not have any firearms lockers of any kind, nor do they have any postings of notice of the laws thereto. As written in 18 Pa.C.S. §913(e), these kinds of locker facilities were mandated to have been installed by July 1st, 2002, yet as of today’s date they do not exist.

My concern arises out of the fact that if I, as a law-abiding firearm owner, have business at this particular court, and I am carrying my firearm at the time, I have no way to secure my firearm as per the law so that I do not run afoul of it myself. Furthermore, it’s been over ten years since this law has been in effect, and it appears as though no attempt has been made to bring this court facility up to speed.

I look forward to hearing back from you on how this issue can be addressed. I’m certain that you understand the importance of Delaware County being held responsible for maintaining standards and keeping abreast of the law. If I were violating the law on a daily basis for over a decade, I’d surely be issued a citation or summons of some kind to address it and get it fixed.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter,

Sincerely,

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    I'm presuming your doing all this typing from a smart phone with voice input? I gotta learn this shit.....

You were literally 2.5 blocks from where I work,,,,, you shoulda stopped in and visited. At least called.....we coulda gone over to DCF&S and shot some. My boss is OK with it.
    He wouldn't like DCFS George, no OC carry at all and firearms are not allowed in the clubhouse, and there's an unwritten rule (at least not one I could find and I am involved in club politics) about no CC at all on club grounds.

(Delaware County)

Number 5. http://www.dcfs.org/GenRangeInfo.htm

He probably can survive one trip there and get some range time in without OCing.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

Not allowed to carry at a sporting club? That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. If they can't trust you to -not- touch your firearm while it's in a holster where it belongs, what's supposed to make me think they want me actually shooting there?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Not allowed to carry at a sporting club? That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. If they can't trust you to -not- touch your firearm while it's in a holster where it belongs, what's supposed to make me think they want me actually shooting there?
    Actually that's a lot more common than you think around here.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Number 5. http://www.dcfs.org/GenRangeInfo.htm

He probably can survive one trip there and get some range time in without OCing.
    Yea I forgot it was there, I was thinking of something else, which I won't go into.

As you can see from his responce he probably wouldn't go.

DCFS has rules in place, one of them does in fact seem ridiculous for gun club, but it's the rule. Don't like it, come get involved and try to change it, I have, or just go somewhere else.

Personally I think DCFS is a great place, I can enjoy all it has to offer, without carrying on the property and it's close to home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast