Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Optic for a 30-30 Marlin

I personally have a 3-9x tasco on my marlin. I keep it on 6x in the woods and feel that is a perfect compromise between zoom and field of view. (I also have over-under mounts on it. I just bought a pentax gameseeker 2 for my 270. While I haven't mounted it yet, the scope is surprisingly clear. I was impressed to say the least. In clarity, it's somewhere between my bushnell elite, and leupolds. I can't speak for durability on it though.
    I would say that it's the best scope for the money that I own. As for magnification, get what you feel comfortable with. When you sight it in use the power ring and check zero on different magnifications.
    Hope that helps.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    These work exceptionally well for me, and I'm halfway to 116:

Noah
    LOL! Those work like cr... err... those work poorly for me. I'm only 55, but my eyes are 92. Aperture sights are a fair compromise, but I haven't been able to use open sights on a rifle for many years.

Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Dale, what is your thoughts on the new Redfield scopes?
    I've never used one. But I've never read a bad report on the Refield Revolution line. I hang out on another forum that has a lot more hunter traffic than this one and those guys are pretty particular about their optics. They all seem to like the Revolution line.

I don't know anything about the Revenge line, I think they're relatively new and the jury is still out on them.

FWIW,

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    These work exceptionally well for me, and I'm halfway to 116:

Noah
    Thanks Noah... You're all heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I've never used one. But I've never read a bad report on the Refield Revolution line. I hang out on another forum that has a lot more hunter traffic than this one and those guys are pretty particular about their optics. They all seem to like the Revolution line.

I don't know anything about the Revenge line, I think they're relatively new and the jury is still out on them.

FWIW,

Dale
    Thanks Dale. I was actually speaking about the Revolution line up. Can you pm me the other forum please?

(Somerset County)

PM sent.

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

I've been looking at optics a lot lately. The low powered scopes from leupold like the 1X4, 1.5X5 or even the 2.5X8 look about perfect for a .30-30. Compact sized and the low power is quick for up close shots. Plus enough magnification for the longer shots within the .30-30's range.

I went to Cabelas last night and picked up a Redfield Revolution 2-7 33mm. I compared it to the Nikon pro staff and the Redfield was much more compact and sleek and felt lighter, don't know if it really is though. I mounted it and did the mirror trick so far but have not had the chance to hit the range today and probably won't for over a week to finish sighting it in. I like the clarity and good field of view, I spent less than $200 and got a great optic for what I needed.
    Thanks to all that helped and as soon as I can hit the range I'll do a little report on it. I think it's going to score pretty well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12