Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Parents are getting their LTCF...suggestions for first handgun

Hey all,

In a bizzare twist of events both of my parents are going to get their LTCF and want to start carrying.

My dad owned a few long guns before I was born....apparently he did a lot a skeet...but other then that they have never owned any handguns.

So I figured id ask what first time handguns do you suggest?

My dad has been eveing an M&P and my mom mentioned a revolver maybe

Thanks in advance!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Parents are getting their LTCF...suggestions for first handgun

M&P=good
    Revolver=good

Personally I like revolvers as first carry guns because they can take a lot of abuse. Not being run over by a semi abuse, but thrown in a glove compartment or under the car seat for a week abuse. I myself am getting Mrs. Chaz a Taurus 85 snubbie from a friend (150 bucks can't beat it!) for her to carry so that MAYBE I can get my LC9 back as she has stolen it countless times... lol

Now be a good son, buy them some ammo, and take them shooting. That's called bonding!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Berks County)

My wife loves her CZ-83 for concealment. It's heavier than most .380s, but that means better recoil-management for her small hands. And the single action trigger makes it even easier for her to stay on target.

She likes revolvers, so she thought she wanted a J-Frame S&W to start. That was a mistake. She had trouble with the small grips on the pistols she tried. Even with a .38 target load it wanted to fly out of her hands (And she handles my 1911 and my brother's Hi-Point .45 just fine, not to mention hot loads in her S&W 686). She also was not a fan of the stiff double-action triggers on the ones she tried.

I would recommend the CZ-83 for both your parents for concealment purposes. However, if your father would prefer something with a bit more punch there are always the compact 1911s or a compact .357 magnum if he can handle the recoil in a lightweight package.

Hope this helps!

Smile Re: Parents are getting their LTCF...suggestions for first handgun

First handgun owners,I recommend a S&W model 10 4 inch barrel 38 special,it makes easier the basics of loading shooting and comfortable recoil,Yes this gun can be heavy with the bull barrel but depending on the size of your parents and the holster it will be well recieved and comfortable.good luck and congrats.

If they are new to handguns, and are not what you'd call true and through 'gun enthusiasts', then I'd wager that revolvers would be good choices for both your mom and dad.

This is NOT to make it a pistol vs. revolver thread.

Just some things to consider: Pistols require disassembly and cleaning after each shooting (and even after just carrying for a while). Shooting requires a locked wrist everytime. checking to load or unload requires both a mag eject AND a chamber check. Loading it requires that EVERYTIME you remember to chamber a round, otherwise it's useless. Some pistols are ammo sensitive.

Revolvers are guns you can load and stick in your pocket/holster and not worry about anything but it going bang when you need it. You can keep it in the safe loaded for years and not worry about recoil or mag springs. A less than perfect grip on the gun will still allow it to 'cycle'. And loading and unloading doesn't get any safer or easier.

IF your parents are not true gun enthusiasts and still want to tools for protection after some training, revolvers don't get any easier.

I would avoid the Airweight/Airlite revolvers, since recoil can be brutal. J-frame stainless models are good. Ruger sp101 would be good, if the weight isn't a concern. The Ruger LCR's (in 357) can handle 38's no problem.

(Berks County)

Desert Eagle .50 for mom, and something in .454 for Dad. Nothing less.

Or, a nice pair of S&W M&P 9mm's, maybe? They seem popular, but I've not shot one yet. I'm partial to XDs, myself.

If they each want their own pistol, I'd try to keep them both on the same caliber and, hopefully, on the same pistol. Breakdown/cleaning shouldn't be an issue - just about any new pistol is easy enough to strip, and reliabilty shouldn't be an issue either.

(Northampton County)

My suggestion is to take them to a gun store with a large selection. Let them look around and fondle as many or few handguns as they want. Have them come up with a few handguns that the like the most and then see if anyone you know has these handguns and will let your parents shoot them. During this process, I would remind them that it will be concealed (if that is how they choose to carry) so things like caliber, weight, and size will probably be very important if they carry all day long.

Once they have a handgun that fits them well and they like to shoot the most (not thinking marksman - but they can still shoot with some accuracy at this point, they can stand the recoil, sights, etc.) that is probably the handgun they should get.

(Berks County)

Ive taken them to the range before....and they have shot most of my handguns (.32's up to .40) with no issues.

They are also looking at basic pistol courses...which is good IMO for beginners.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    If they each want their own pistol, I'd try to keep them both on the same caliber.
    This will make buying ammo much easier.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Hey all,

In a bizzare twist of events both of my parents are going to get their LTCF and want to start carrying.

My dad owned a few long guns before I was born....apparently he did a lot a skeet...but other then that they have never owned any handguns.

So I figured id ask what first time handguns do you suggest?

My dad has been eveing an M&P and my mom mentioned a revolver maybe

Thanks in advance!
    I carry my M&P 9mm(full size) regularly,with a fully loaded mag and a spare,it's not exactly light.With a good stiff belt it's not a problem.If you are looking to stay in the same caliber,maybe a compact M&P or Shield for mom.I have not shot either,but have read a lot of good reviews.
    rmagill's suggestion about taking them to a gun shop is a good idea,particularly if they could shoot different models to see what they like ,not what we like.Good luck and the basic training class is a great idea.
    Last edited by GrumpyBear; July 11th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast