Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Having a lawyer at the ready question

Hopefully I'll never need to shoot somebody in self defense, but if I do I don't want to have to start looking through the Yellow Pages for a lawyer.

In general, would contacting an appropriate type of lawyer and introducing yourself be sufficient or is it necessary to have one officially on retainer and pay up-front? I don't typically need legal advice on a regular basis but we do have a relationship with a law firm that has handled our wills in the past. Would it be logical to ask them for guidance? I honestly don't know their stance on firearms or if that would or should even matter.

Specifically, can anyone who has already done this recommend an individual or firm in the Washington County or Pittsburgh area?

Thanks, I appreciate and look forward to everyone's advice.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Having a lawyer at the ready question

Theshootersbar.org
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Jefferson County)

You will have to contact the lawyers individually to see what they would want.

Some might just say to give them a call when you need them. Others may want a retainer. Odds are that a lawyer on retainer will respond sooner than one without. When seconds count about keeping your anal virginity in jail, lawyers can be hours/days away.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Hopefully I'll never need to shoot somebody in self defense, but if I do I don't want to have to start looking through the Yellow Pages for a lawyer.

In general, would contacting an appropriate type of lawyer and introducing yourself be sufficient or is it necessary to have one officially on retainer and pay up-front? I don't typically need legal advice on a regular basis but we do have a relationship with a law firm that has handled our wills in the past. Would it be logical to ask them for guidance? I honestly don't know their stance on firearms or if that would or should even matter.

Specifically, can anyone who has already done this recommend an individual or firm in the Washington County or Pittsburgh area?

Thanks, I appreciate and look forward to everyone's advice.
    I'd hire a defense lawyer who was a former prosecutor because they'd all ready know what the county prosecutor's argument and tactics are going to be. I'd also try to hire a conservative/republican/libertarian (you get the idea) type person who is pro-2nd amendment and will take the issue to heart. You might also want to contact the NRA to see who they might recommend, and they also might have some kind of insurance program set up where you would pay a yearly fee and they would cover legal services if you get jammed up (assuming you weren't breaking the law).

(Montgomery County)

you would want a Criminal defense attorney..

And whoever you choose. Make sure you have their cell phone number, or some other way to get a hold of them at 2am Sunday morning.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by palawstudent View Post
    You might also want to contact the NRA to see who they might recommend, and they also might have some kind of insurance program set up where you would pay a yearly fee and they would cover legal services if you get jammed up (assuming you weren't breaking the law).
    I think this is what you're referencing. I've thought of signing up myself.

(Westmoreland County)

Of course there is always pre-paid legal services, where, for a fee-per-month, you have a team of attorneys at the ready for everything from traffic tickets to felony charges and civil matters. Just google pre-paid legal and take your pick.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

There's also http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/. I don't know enough about them to recommend them, although Massad Ayoob is on their advisory board.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by red_oktober78765 View Post
    Of course there is always pre-paid legal services, where, for a fee-per-month, you have a team of attorneys at the ready for everything from traffic tickets to felony charges and civil matters. Just google pre-paid legal and take your pick.
    I have one of those services. Haven't had to use it, but I know someone that has and it worked out for her.

I have a friend that sells these subscriptions if anyone is interested. $26 a month. But they have a lessor subscription(with lessor hours/topics of help).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I have one of those services. Haven't had to use it, but I know someone that has and it worked out for her.

I have a friend that sells these subscriptions if anyone is interested. $26 a month. But they have a lessor subscription(with lessor hours/topics of help).
    Some of those subscriptions even have Lifelock or a similiar service, which, I believe is insurance for your social security number....It all depends on what you may think may happen to you (how paranoid you may be)...Two things are true in this world, only the paranoid survive, and padlocks only keep honest people honest.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast