Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Internal Locks - Anybody Actually Use Them?

I have two pistols with internal locks and aside from making sure they were unlocked, have never done anything with them. I don't really get the point of them. There's always some bit about it preventing unauthorized users, but these things are trivially easy to defeat, utterly stupid on any kind of defense gun, and would likely be stored in with the keys right next to the gun, what is the point?

Is there a use for these things?

Default Re: Internal Locks - Anybody Actually Use Them?

Never have, never will. The point to them is for people that leave a loaded gun where a child can get hold of it. Never mind the fact that you tube has 10 year olds defeating the lock.

Put it in a safe or have it on you when it's loaded.

(Allegheny County)

No.. I will never buy a gun with an internal lock that can not be removed. Good storage habits can prevent any accidents in the home. i don't need a piece of "safety" equipment on my gun that can malfunction at a time of crisis.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by heili View Post
    I have two pistols with internal locks and aside from making sure they were unlocked, have never done anything with them. I don't really get the point of them. There's always some bit about it preventing unauthorized users, but these things are trivially easy to defeat, utterly stupid on any kind of defense gun, and would likely be stored in with the keys right next to the gun, what is the point?

They are solely there so anti 2a politicians and their supporters can feel good about doing something to make firearms safer even though they don't do a thing to make a firearm safer.

Anyone who is going to secure a firearm when not in use (and this should be everyone who owns firearms) is either going to use a safe or some kind of external lock. Neither of these options adds unneeded complexity to the firearm that creates an additional failure point and only serves to endanger the owner/operator.

Those who do not bother to secure their firearms will not bother with the internal lock anyway.

I personally would never own such a firearm. I don't want the added complexity of a feature I would never use and I'm not going to support there use buy buying one. I have written off the LC9 and PPS because of these features. If Ruger or Walther would release a version of these firearms without the internal lock for those states that do not require them I would consider them when I buy a single stack 9mm.
    Last edited by QuackXP; July 12th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

(Lawrence County)

I only have the regular manual safety. Except on the little Crickett .22 I just bought yesterday, and being what it's made for, I like the bolt lock on it. I like the idea of storing guns locked in case of theft, a key is easier to hide in plain sight than a gun. But the fact that if the lock is simple to remove or circumvent renders the point moot.

But, on my defense weapons? Never. They are either loaded and on/in my belt or in my Gun Vault.
    ~ All Knowledge Is Worth Having ~

(Bucks County)

If anything, they are more dangerous because they can create a false sense of security which results in someone leaving a loaded gun laying around. IE "hey, I don't need to buy a safe, this gun has a lock built right in!" ...right before an 8 year old defeats the lock and shoots himself.

(Monroe County)

When I carried my HK regularly, if I ever absolutely HAD to leave my gun in the car for any reason, I would drop the mag and empty the chamber, install a trigger lock, and engage the internal lock, then lock my pistol in the glove box. That was the ONLY time I would ever use it.

They make the bureaucrats feel all warm and fuzzy inside and cost the firearm companies money. Thats about it.

I don't use the locks on any of my guns. Never have never will. If I want to disable the gun I'll remove a key part to allow the firearm to function and take it with me or put it somewhere else.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    They make the bureaucrats feel all warm and fuzzy inside and cost the firearm companies money. Thats about it.

I don't use the locks on any of my guns. Never have never will. If I want to disable the gun I'll remove a key part to allow the firearm to function and take it with me or put it somewhere else.
    When the only rifle I had was a bolt action .22 I took the bolt out and locked it up in the smaller safe my pistols went in.
    Last edited by QuackXP; July 10th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

My only concern now is that they didn't force manufacturers to put two internal locks on every gun. That would have been even safer, no?

BTW - you are not supposed to use the lock on a loaded handgun.

I used mine once on my S&W 642, and then checked it 4 or 5 times during the next week to make sure it was really unlocked. What a surprise that would be to find that out at the wrong time.

See this starting at page 15.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...ver_Manual.pdf
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast