Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Thinking of getting an FFL in LYCOMING Co.

Hi, I'm just new to this forum and go by ZX11. First I'd like to say HI! to all ya Pa. Shooters and thanks for having me. I'm thinking of getting my own FFL 1 So Hit me Hard with all the reasons to or not to<>Both the Good and Bad.

Thanks Jim<>ZX11

(Snyder County)

Default Re: Thinking of getting an FFL in LYCOMING Co.

Sorry for the first post, I must be getting sleepy after lunch.

But as for getting your FFL, I am sure their are others that can chime in better, but there is a lot of BS that you have to go through. Dealing with the ATF can be testing at times and you need to really have all your ducks in line and keep perfect records, or you can screw yourself for a lifetime. You need to know the firearms laws, and the dos and don'ts, and stay up to date. And most would tell you that you need to have a business, and most likely a storefront for your business. Some people get exemptions for a business out of their home, but it is highly advised against. And by getting a FFL license, you open up your business (and in some cases your home) for the ATF to come in whenever they want to check things over. Most of the people don't have problems with this. But it can happen.

My point I guess is you need to be serious about buying and selling firearms as a business if you want to go through this. Don't just think you can get your FFL and buy guns for yourself and your friends. There is a lot of other crap you have to go through to get there.

And BTW, I work in Williamsport.
    Last edited by Zef_66; February 25th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.

(Centre County)

There are several posts in the forum that deal with this subject. However, I'll add my 2 cents.

If you are just going to get a FFL to be able to buy guns at wholesale, don't bother, the BATFE will not allow it. You must be in business, either as a gun dealer, a gunsmith, gun manufacturer, ammo manufacturer etc.

The BATFE would like you to have a store front operation but it is not a stopper as long as you have the ok from the local authorities to work from your home.

You will need to have any/all required licenses, permissions, etc. when you submit your FFL application. If/when you are approved you then have to get the PA Firearms License (go to Sheriffs Office for this) and a PA State Sales Tax license (go to PA Dept of Revenue at www.revenue.state.pa.us to apply).

Have/get business insurance. You don't have to incorporate but I would suggest at a minimum registering the business as an LLC (for liability purposes, otherwise someone could take everything you own if something were to go wrong). Getting the LLC is very easy and cost is less than $200.00.

When all said and done and you get your FFL here's some more stuff:

Become extremely literate in the gun laws, have a copy of the PA UFA, Title 27 CFR Chapter II Part 478 Index and Title 27 CFR Chapter II Part 478 printed out and available as you WILL be studying/referring to these on a day to day basis if you want to be/stay knowledgeable about what you can and can't do and what a buyer can and can't do, etc.

You will have to keep immaculate records for both the BATFE, PSP, and PA Dept of Revenue. Probably the single most important is your "Bound Book", which is the record of gun Acquisition/Disposition. If you do not keep this squeaky clean and properly filled out the BATFE can hammer you.

Learn anything/everything about "straw" purchases, the Feds and PSP are extremely interested in these.

If you get your license, the BATFE can inspect you business at any time. However, if you work at home (and this is from the BATFE themselves) they can inspect wherever the business is located but nothing else. Again however, if they have to go through your home to get to the business, any illegal activity they see CAN be addressed. In my experience (I've had my FFL for 18 years) The BATFE (and the PSP) has always gotten in touch with me and set up an appointment to do the inspection. Always something else though, if they suspect illegal activity they can (and will) do things just like any other police agency.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. I'll answer or refer you to someone that has an answer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Schuylkill County)

There is an EXCELLENT FAQ on net about FFL inspections, both announced and unannounced. Best read I've had on the subject. Lots of good advice on who can do an inspection and of what. Gives you a heads up for what to keep on top of.

Like ONLY the inspector is allowed to do the inspection. No LEO, ATF agents etc. Only the inspector. So if 20 guys show up to 'inspect' under the BATFE inspection rules, you only have to let ONE person, the actual inspector in. Everyone else goes or waits outside.

That alone is worth the price of the FAQ (free, btw).

http://www.gunowners.com/batf.htm

(Lycoming County)

Hi Guy's Thanks for all the GREAT INFO!! In A rush have a Doctor app. But I have alot more to say (I'LL BE BACK)

Thanks Jim ZX11

Hokkmike Guest

You will have a lot of competition in Lycoming and surrounding counties for customers, but that's good. Just off the top of my head I can think of Troxell's, Dugans, Gander Mt., Dicks, Andrews Gunsmithing, L&R, D&R, Big John's, National, and two others I can remember the names of. I am sure that there are some I have missed.